1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

An Idea who's time has come

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Ric, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

That would be the proper use Ric. Residental units do not bring full income IMHO so you have to look at options.

2. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

The specs on my 06 f350 DRW is 5800 payload

3. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

very true about mow and go--I like the regular work associated with this and growing your business si not as difficult due to lesser skill requirements--the market here for high end homes is good, full service, but everyone is looking for a deal and it is ever so much more competative with every guy with a pickup offering service--also notice every guy who works for a company, goes out on the weekends as well-as well as construction guys...
    commercial--not many will pay high prices...too competative-

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Week End

Mow & Go customers are not going to call you back because you missed a weed. We are talking a totally different attitude and Expectation by the customer.

Quick Story, I got a call today for inside Pest control by the House watcher. I did this house maybe 6 or 8 months ago. These people have a condo in Dubai as well as other homes around the world. But this house had a Porsch sedan, Lexus and Electric Smart car parked in the garage that is bigger than my house. BTW they have not been in town this March. When I finished treating the house I ask how the homeowner wanted to pay. Why the Charge the House watcher ask. The Homeowner told them the first $ 75 I charge them 1/2 a year ago was for a whole year service guarantee. The richer they are the more out of touch with working people and their prices IMHO.

5. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you Ric many are out of touch but not all. I got an e-mail yesterday from a customer who has several homes including a very nice home that I take care of right on the bend of the river. The husband has been having medical issues and they have sold the home. Every April they pay for the year in advance, no discount, and I e-mail an invoice and they pay by credit card for any extras that might come up. She thanked me for our service and said to keep the credit balance as a thank you. I think we all just need to stay positive and keep an open mind about customers, equipment set ups and all aspects of our business, there is always something to learn.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

For Years I chased the PITA customers who wanted the perfect yard. I spend a small fortune on chemicals and I have a barn full of different chemicals. While I was charging Top Dollar I was also spending Top Dollar for all the BEST products. I recognize now that part of the Perfect work syndrome was my Ego talking. I think that is human nature to want to be competitive.

Today I am spraying Arena on a few yards at a Cost of $ 4.50 a thousand. For that same $ 4.50 I can kill an acre of Fire Ants and have 10 time less hassle with the customer. I still have More L&O than Ants customer but I am working at getting out of L&O and just doing Ants or My Mow & Go as a CPO. I keep the same amount of Money from each Ants customer as I do from an L&O customer, only I charge the Ant customer a lot less. Oh and Ant Spraying takes less time and is IMHO easier. I could go on about L&O I use a big Cab Over and Ants I only use a pick up truck and the related costs etc etc. But Bottom line is I am a Mow & Go guy now and proud of it.

7. TX Easymoney

I musthave not clarified....we focus on HOA, commercial, hotels etc, full serivice...but we cut our teeth for about 15-18 years on residential mow and go (mostly older folks)...now, besides our commercial, we do about 100 residential homes and my main focus is on the professional customer who is tech oriented and likes to use email --hence most customers don't ever see our guys, when the yare there doing residential...we are in and out in 10-15 minutes, no hassle--

8. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

One of my trucks is a 2000 f350 dually. The bed is wide enough that I fit a 36 stander, 52 stander, next to each other. 61 scag v-ride behind them. 3 blowers, 2 edgers, 2 whips, 2 hedge sheers all on racks on the body. It works well for us, but my next one will be a van body with an enclosed box. I hate when my stuff gets wet. This year I did ad 2 leaf springs to each side, along with re arching the originals. And added heavier shocks with springs over them. Thought it would help it handle better. (it didn't) and now it's about 4 inches higher in the back......so the tailgate is steeper. I spray the tailgate with the spray bedliner stuff on it twice a year so it keeps the grip.

9. TX Easymoney

here was one that looked a little better --mow and go--one guy, one yard 30 minutes...$35 bucks...prob. no taxes or insurance...but this is the competition-

2012 Aug 9 120.jpg

10. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

looks like somebody is asking to get their blowers yanked..