1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

An Intoduction, of sorts...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by prosperity, Mar 24, 2007.

1. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

I've been cruising this forum for a couple years now. I've gained so much from reading posts here for hours at a time, I thought it was finally time to kind of introduce myself.

A little history...
    I started out in this industry back around 1975. My father (retired at the time) started a small LCO back then when I was still in high school to try and give me a bit of a "start" I guess. We did mostly commercial accounts - our biggest was a national park in Northern NJ.
    Well, being young and dumb, after I took it over after graduating high school, I let things slide since I thought that partying and girls were much more important. Contracts lost, and equipment sold.

Fast forward about 25 years, after a long career which brought me to the city (country boy here), I left that high pressure career, and moved to the boonies, where I have now lived for ~15 years. Got the business started up on a small level again in this new area - about 10 accounts. Very tough, very rural, very poor area.

Then, for some reason, I ended up with a State job. Didn't really want it, but thought it was the "right thing to do" for my family and all. I still kept a few accounts during the next 10 years while working the state job.

Well, moved myself up the "ladder" in the State - to the point where I could just not handle the "politics" and all (long story). Ended up leaving that job last August - vested my pension, and walked.

Of course, my first endeavor would be to get back to mowing - my passion since I started doing this 30 some years ago. But, bad time of year to get into full swing and all. As I said - a very tough area to do this kind of thing.

So, picked up a job driving tractor-trailer to get us through until next spring.

Now, getting closer to spring, the decision has to be made. I actually got kind of comfortable in the truck - just day trips, and home all weekend. Very good money, and fully paid health insurance to boot. But....very long days - 12-15 hours behind the wheel. My mind still constantly points to my passion - mowing.

Within the past couple months, a couple things happened that have steered me back also. My local Deere dealership, whom I have been dealing with for the past 15 years, was suddenly changing hands. I actually became quite good friends with the sales manager - who has treated my great with price and service always. Well, with the take over, this guy had decided to leave the dealership (another long story). In the interim, he gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on a left-over 727A - the owners to be said to just get rid of it......

Now, mind you, I hadn't totally made up my mind to go full time yet, but it was a deal I couldn't refuse. It now sits in my barn - I go look at it and sit on it every evening (still snow on the ground here).

So, in the meantime, researching health insurance costs, and evaluating our general financial situation. A scary notion to get out of the truck, and on to the mower. I'm almost there in my mind, but not 100% yet. And, by the way, I still have all my other equipment, plus a Deere compact diesel with 62" mower, loader, bush hog, etc - trailer, trimmers, etc - all paid for.

Then, one day last week, while driving the 80,000 pound truck in the worst freezing rain and sleet I've seen in a long time, crawling up and down the hills - trucks and cars in the ditches everywhere, my phone rings. I was so tense, I almost didn't answer it, but did.

An offer, without having to bid, to do a huge commercial job that I had done years ago - they heard that I was getting back into the business. This job alone will bring in the same money I am making driving the truck. It used to take me 16 hours a week doing it solo with the diesel tractor. I know I can cut the time down with the "Z" and a helper (once I get good with the Z).

So...I guess my mind is made up now - funny how things work out. That phone call came out of the blue - but what I needed to push me over the edge (or should I jump off the edge now.?.)

Anyway, that's the abbreviated version of my story. Just wanted to say thanks to all who post here and share their experiences - it sure has helped me over the years.

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome sir to the site:waving:
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Welcome to the site. Glad you introduced yourself. :)
  4. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow-Cool -Good For You!!!!!!!! Best Success To You!