An Open Letter of Apology and a big Thank You!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. OK....first get the thank you out of the way...Thank you DanaMac for all your help the other day.....hard to believe it is the same a## that posts pissy things in the spring......now you've helped me in 2 of my businesses..THANKS!

Now the apology...

I was wr........um...wr.....um.....I must have been mista.....errr.....I think I made a mista......

I may not have said it outloud...or posted it on here..but I always thought you pipe pullers were crazy....I always wondered how it could be easier to pull pipe and dig all the holes to hook up saddles blah blah blah....

I was wrong.

Dana pulled my first system the other day.....FREAKIN AWESOME!

Other that him pulling it 2 feet deep....cutting 3..yes 3 now Dana....poly lines as we crossed them.....it is way easier to pull.

When I got done setting the heads...(26 heads in rougly 7 hours)....I didn't have any trenches to backfill! And I didn't have 17 inches of mud on the bottom of my Frankenstein boots! All I can say is wow.

Tomorrow I am adjusting the heads and nozzling them....I will let everyone know about the well.....

Did I mention Dana was very helpful?

Thanks

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

And another convert joins the flock.

Amazing eh :)

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Great. One more guy to bid against on equipment auctions :(

4. I'm not a buyer...I'm a renter, so no worries Boots.

I have never been a buyer....I don't plan to install more than 50 systems per year.....because I do them alone usually.....I choose to, don't have to.

But....I do need a new toy....

5. How much time do you think you saved on the install.

6. Sounds like you needed a coverup machine.....

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Ah geez, shucks. I don't know what to say, except your welcome, and sorry to hit the pipes. I haven't installed since 2003 so it's been a few years since I ran one. Not surprised I hit some pipes. Next time design it so we don't have to worry about it!! I didn't like that the blade wasn't adjustable for height, so yeah, all the pipes are deeper than we would usually want.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The 2-foot pull depth is a bit unusual-sounding to me. Our local construction adheres to an 18" burial minimum for phone/cable/electric, so staying around a foot or less deep makes for less potential destruction. Pipe under grass roots never seems to surface, and funny pipe makes line depths less critical.

9. I don't have all the time in yet..but so far I have 17 hours on site....2.5 of which was pulling pipe w/ Dana. I still have to adjust heads and clean up a bit...I bet I will have 20 hours total in the job....26 rotors....900 feet almost to the foot of poly....6 valve manifold....not to mention talk time w/ Dana and the General Contractor who also hunts elk....The yard was full of cottonwood roots so I have been fighting them as well.

Also, keep in mind, I am doing this ALONE.

I bet I am going to save 8 hours.....but really for me that isn't the best part, the lack of mess is HUGE in my eyes...and not having to rake and pack and rake some more....wow.

10. I was exaggerating on the depth...and besides.....I called the locate guys so wires weren't an issue.

As far as a cover up machine...will that work in an established yard or only on a dirt lot?