1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

An OPinion wanted by many!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Paradise Landscapes, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Whats' your opinion with using copenhagen as a sprayable insecticde? I was gonna do this for my vegetable garden.
    I was told that a long time ago. What you do is take a 5 gallon bucket of very warm but not hot water and soak 3 -4 packs in it overnite.

2. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Are we talking chewing tobacco?.........here we buy tobacco dust in 5 lb bags, in green houses its called "Nicotina", sure that would work, maybe reduce your rate to 1-2 pks to start, not like you have to nuke'em........avoid spraying around or on tomato, as it can cause a disease of its own, s:cool2: ame as a smoker not washing his or her hands before picking

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

This is quite interesting since nicotine was banned from use as an insecticide many years ago. Now it's OK to use because it's "organic"??

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

banned humm do u remember why?

5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I do. But why is it all of a sudden being embraced because it's "organic"??

6. Paradise Landscapes

I don't chew so I thaught I would bring it up. What about other vegetable plants?

7. nocutting

Hello Grass, sure I have it in 5lb bags, but the organic landscape group I'm in doesnt allow its use............the reason given is due to Health issues regarding smokeing:hammerhead: , not due to any plant /enviromentally know treason:dizzy:

8. nocutting

another thing to remember, is that just because you can buy it, doesnt mean you can apply it?........Many a DEC officer can attest to that:usflag:

9. Paradise Landscapes

It's funny that people can smoke and inhale nicotine but, it was band as a harmful insecticide. yeah, chewing tobacco is still organic.

10. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Isn't it illegal to spray anything that doesn't have a "LABEL?" I mean if you took a wad of disgusting chewing tobbacco and made a strong infusion with it, and the dec pulled up to you, wouldn't you get fined because of no lable? Organic doesn't mean safe, just mean's pure, un touched by "man made," chemicals for 4 years correct?:confused: