Anatomy of a main line leak?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Oct 2, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The guys repaired a 4" main line leak under a concrete sidewalk while I was gone and Leo saved the "leak" for me which occurred at a SCH 40 glued bell joint. Since I had the time I cut the bell open to investigate the leak and here's some pictures of what I found.

I've glued a new 4" fitting together (didn't have an extra bell and bevelled end so just glued together a coupling) and will tear it apart sometime next week to compare to this one. I'm not sure if it was glue failure or what. Any ideas?

Four Creeks Bus Lane Leak 9-20-07 IV-01.jpg

Four Creeks Bus Lane Leak 9-20-07 IV-02.jpg

Four Creeks Bus Lane Leak 9-20-07 IV-03.jpg

Four Creeks Bus Lane Leak 9-20-07 IV-04.jpg

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I would guess slightly deformed pipe. The gray cement might have prevented that leak since it has better gap filling properties than the blue.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe LACK of glue? Did you find any? I see just primer & not too much
    of that either. You feeling better?:weightlifter:

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Good point. Don't see much glue in that area and a big spot lacking primer.

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah...looks like what little cement used was pushed ahead by the pipe. Easy pop out of the pipe also indicated lack of cement.

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe cleaning and prep was not done well enough. The pic of the glued surface appears that either the glue did not adhere (poor prep), glue not spread properly, or joint not twisted when freshly connected with the glue.

I've heard a plumber state that after thorough cleaning/priming n prep, glue smeared in well and evenly coat all mating surfaces , he hasn't had a leak if some glue squishes out when connected (but not puddling out all over). Also use a 1/4 turn motion when assembling.

If the glue was jelly-like consistency it may not adhere well, and should be tossed out.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Would be nice to know how they applied the glue. To the pipe, fitting, or both. Perhaps if we could see a section of the pipe you cut out?

8. Mike Leary

I'm thinking poor primer application (should have been multiple coats)
    and being glued-up at:drinkup:30 :laugh:

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

dam 4 inch pvc is huge....

10. Mike Leary

Out of the mouths of babes.:laugh: