Lawn Care Forum banner

Anbody Out There Doing Quality Work???????

16K views 88 replies 20 participants last post by  salacious 
#1 ·
Does anybody here do natural looking waterfalls..no offense guys but all these things look ploped the middle of yards randomly and look as unnatural as possible. I want something i can sell to high end customers who dont want (no offense) junk in their yards. Im interested in getting some tips if ur out there.

#82 ·
Of course,true to form I still can't get the mossrock to post. On this setup, this is an early prototype. On the production models the front right rock extends into the box complimenting the left front , the left rear rock is extended on the bottom hiding the corner and the spillrock has a new back edge that allows it to reverse for a sheet spill. The mossrock is even nicer.

#83 ·
I live in the forest and installed a pond right behind my house and under the ponderosa pine trees. It's probably as natural as you can get with all the lava rock I dug up myself. You be the judge.

And, by the way, there is no problem with maintenance. I just planned on problems and then went with overkill.

Pics were posted here:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14380&pagenumber=2

#84 ·
Weatherman, I saw a pic of your pond with lights on either side of the walkway. What type of lighting are you using here? I have used 12 V outdoor lights before that look remarkably like those, but say not to use within 10 feet of a pond, pool, or spa. I'm not slamming ya here, just curious if you used a light rated for use near water or not... Otherwise it looks good.

Andy

#85 ·
Andy I have never had a problem with 12 volt lights that are made for out door use. Outdoor lights are made to get wet when it rains, So I dont know why some one told you to keep them back 10 feet from a water source. Now I would not place them in the water unless you have a death wish.

#86 ·
I would say the quality of the pond depends on the individuals taste...the individual being the client. You cant always do what you picture in your mind. After all the customers always right...haha....Some people want you to make it as natural as a babbling mountain spring. Others just want a pile of rocks in the front yard with a basic waterfall so they can watch their goldfish. It also depends on the rock material you use. Some just doesnt look natural no matter how you do it.........placed 3 ton of granite in a large pile......used some dynamite........flooded the area.....let the sun and wind chip away it for 50 years.....then filled the area with water.........mebbe then "all naturale".....haha.....

#87 ·
WeatherMan, what Work4green said about the 12 volt lighting system is true. Some manufactures do state not to use them within 10 feet of a pond, or water source. Some of the Malibu lights I believe may state this.

I figure that the lights would work fine as long as they didn't get submerged, but what I think is happening is a simple liability issue. If you owned a landscape lighting company you too would probably have a lawyer telling you to print those same words if the lights weren't capable of submerged use. After all, this day and age you can get sued for serving coffee that's too hot, or making french fries too fattening.

#89 ·
As a non-tradesman (showed up looking for lawn hints) I have to say this is the most interesting website I've found to date. I wonder if my wife will let me quit the mortgage business to do landscaping / design.

As an admitted fool, but potential customer, Sticky you place too much ideal in your "natural" look. Placing a waterfall in a residential yard is by definition an unnatural act. I place more value in a design that incorporates into the landscape and feels like it belongs.

Victor, I'd hire you in a heartbeat. Hope someday I can, to support quality workmanship.

Thanks for the read folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.