1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anchor Diamond Highland Stone uneven block?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by T Summers, Nov 19, 2007.

1. T Summers

T Summers LawnSite Member

Let me start by saying I am homeowner installing this wall myself.

I purcased 1400 sq ft of Anchor Highland Stone from Pavestone through
    Hardscapes a local dealer close to my home in southern Indiana.

The wall consists of three different size block,a (6x6x12) (6x12x12)
    (6x18x12).The 6x6 and 6x18 blocks are all running about 1/32nd under the
    6'' dimension.The 6x12 blocks are all over the place. Most about 1/32nd
    oversize, but some as much an 1/8th'' causing me major problems.

I called and visited the local dealer,asking them to look at the blocks.They
    told me it was Pavestones problem and I should call Pavestone myself.
    Hardscapes has never come to look at the block or called to see if my
    problem had been resolved,they have pretty much left me hanging. When I
    called Pavestone they said they would take back any block over 1/16th on
    the 6'' dimension or i could use a roof shingle to shim the shorter blocks.
    I could not get Pavestone to understand that if the 6x18 blocks were 1/32nd
    undersize and the 6x12 blocks were for the most part 1/32nd or more
    oversize,this would account for 1/16th''.They said only blocks that were
    1/16th oversize.

These blocks were expensive am I asking to much that they be on size.

I have several questions. (1) Is this normal for blocks to vary this much?
    (2) Do pros use roof shingles to shim blocks? (3) Shouldn't my local dealer
    be helping with this problem? (4) What do the pros do in this situation?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

You should not have to shim blocks, however they do make rubber shim at www.pavetech.com if you want to buy them. What happens is the concrete molds wear out and have less tolerance. Quality control varies from vendor to vendor. My advise send the sh&* back !! I have had the best quality control with versa-lok products.
  3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

from my understanding pavestone is a lower end product. probable the reason they sell it in home depot.
  4. Matt k

Matt k LawnSite Member

I have worked with numerous types of retaining wall block and they all have had there problems. The mfg. has a tolerance of 1/8th inch that they are allowed by ASTM standards. Now that being said, it is a shame that you have to deal with block that fall within those standards, but it is the nature of the beast. To say you shouldnt have to shim block is true, but if you do alot of SRW walls, you will find it is pretty common. I would first throw out your distributer, because if they are not willing to take the time to at least look at your problem, then your money is better spent going somewhere else.

A 1/16" is normal for most block, and you have a couple of options for fixing.

1. You can take the time to find every out of scale block and get it replaced by the manufacturer and take up a lot of time replacing everything.
    2. You can get some roofing shingles and just use them to shim the wall block as needed.
    3. You can buy a angle grinder with a diamond cup wheel and go over the block that are throwing you off.
    4. Or, a combination of 2 & 3.

When I first started getting block that differ in size, I used to get the powers that be involed and get them replace. That always took alot of time until we got replacements, especially with a lowsy distributer. I then just started dealing with it and learned to shim where needed and grind if I had too. The only way I call now is if the block is over the 1/8" tolerance and beleive it or not I have found that lately.

Anchor uses the lip system for locking, so a shim will have no impact on contact. That would be where I would start first.

Hope this helps.
  5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Pavestone hear in Georgia was the bottom of the barrel but no more.

I actually never really measure them.
    If a block is real bad I lay it too the side and use it for a cut or a bottom row.
    It will have gaps and spaces and look somewhat irregular.
    The main thing is too keep the rows level and do not break the seams so that the different thickness causes a problem.

Belgard stones have been giving me fits.
    There Celtik wall stone has similar problems.

Do not take this the wrong way but after you tackle a job like this you will understand why it costs so much too have these walls done.
  6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

here is what you need,

we don't build a wall without them. Make sure you shim as you go so you use the smallest shim possible.

Building a 1400 square wall you should have hired a pro.
  7. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

we use those shims, but lately we have been just using pennies, they are cheap(probalby the only thing in the world thats worth a penny is a penny) and work good. especially on a wall application that has varying size block. just carry a handful in you pocket. plus they dont show as much as those shims on the face. you can put a dollop of glue first if you need.
  8. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I would be happy to have one of my guys stop by your home and give you a price on building your wall. A masonry hammer, level and a cut off saw work well together. Knowing what the hell you are doing really does help on a project that big.
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that is a lot of wall block to do yourself.

i would hire a pro to do it for you. We see this problem often. issues like this are why you hire a professional for these jobs,they know how to deal with them.