And another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, May 13, 2009.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

There is also this thread...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=264178&highlight=cation+exchange+capacity

Kiril gives a great swing analogy.

Basically a cation is a molecule with a charge. A Cation exchange site is a place on a soil particle that has an opposite charge. The cation (IE mineral fert, IE plant available nutrient, IE soluble molecule) is attracted to the Ce site on the soil particle and takes a rest on the Ce site (out of the soil solution)... later... when the attraction to dissolve in the solution is greater than the attraction to sit on the Ce site... the nutrient re-dissolves into the solution (and thus can be transported into the plant or leached away form the property.

The more Ce sites you have, the more likely nutrients in your soil will be stable and not leach away...

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

M, stop giving all our secrets away:):laugh:

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

that does work well , but i like to get the stink off the oil in the first place

4. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Will phosphoric or citric acid help with the (fish) odor?

5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I believe we can mark chicken-post off the list. It had a nice smell of... chicken to it. I have definitely smelled worst but again, I don't see my customers being too happy with it. This did make it to my second test however, the wife, after her rant over the phone about the sh*t I put on the lawn and how it smelled I determined that it wasn't going to work out.

NEXT!

6. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

OK, so we have crappy or expensive compost, stinky fish based fert. (i have a small bottle of Alaskan fish based - my goodness the stink!!!!!!), and now chicken Doo fert. that stinks. I need a product that will get me to the late summer/fall when I can do a compost topdress, given that I have a good, economical source of cpost at that time.

Any suggestions! Barry / Bill

thanks, Pistol

7. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Reading the stuff you guys are dealing with makes me feel blessed... I lucked out with a good supplier of great compost... although they are out of compost a lot... they just finished a batch today... I am buying buying buying...

I was having to hire a truck to bring some in... not cheap.

Man I can't wait till I post my own.

8. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Once we get our operation up and running I think I may expand it so I can start selling a top quality compost to everyone in my area and then expand from there... and with organics becoming more and more prevalent here I may be able to cash in selling the spreaders and stuff as well and supplying other companies with their organic fert...

Maybe... I guess I still need to get my operation up and running first...

9. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

This is also my goal. I could start now if I had a chunk of property to store the compost. I feel I am letting the chance slip through my fingers.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Go out into the the farming communittee and find a small country bar on a Saturday afternoon and start shooting pool and talking with folks.
    Setting up a compost heap is a - 'solution to a problem'. If it is managed properly it could be a value added problem and turn a buck, if not... you got a local farmer talking nasty about you.

A commitment of time, is the problem of doing huge compost piles.