and finally, page #6, of next years contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Whoa, Jimmy. It is obvious you have had an extraordinary experience in the industry. And it is obvious everyone else's problems have been ignored by you or gone in your ear and out the other. So, I would suggest laying off this guy. *You may have a point about Bob, but it ain't this one.*

2. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Me thinks his clients don't trust him. Hmmmmmmmm. Wonder why.
    Fortunately he's got that shovel of persuasion to ensure they don't dump him.

But, I do agree that record keeping is very important but I see no need to put that in a contract. Once you showed you did the work, he should have believed you, judging your character of course, and payed you.

3. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Go back and read Mr. Gedds past posts then come back and defend him.

4. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Amen on that and i could think of a few more that falls in the same category TopSneeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzsites :)

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

6 pages the office supply is gonna love u

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I would feel intimidated by someone who handed me a 6-page contract to just cut my grass...but that's just me.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i understand, but how do you adress these issues? they MUST BE adressed. the sprinkler thing for example, how do you adress that? the "you werent here" crap, how do you adress that?

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Face to face is how I address them bobby.

I don't want my potential client to feel like they have to hire a Philadelphia attorney to read and understand my contract.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I address them verbally when I sign a new client, I always need to know whether they have irrigation, detimines the growth rate, when and how much to fert, where to run an airetor so I don't wipe out the heads etc. And its pretty difficult to not know when they been cut. I won't mow if it does not need it, so thats never been a problem. You just need a short contract that covers your azz, including acts of god and other reasons [custmers negligents, or interuptions of the scheldule] as to why the work could not be completed, and that they are reponsable to pay if they caused the problem. Also a camara with a date imprintor on it is a great way to prove your point. only need to store the pics on your puter for a billing cycle and then you can delete them once paid.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the only problem with that is, it's the same as a verbal agreement, and hard to prove in court. i can't make return trips cus they had thier sprinklers on, i can't let 5 weeks of service fees slide because some nutjob thinks i wasn't there, when i was. you are correct, the long contracts are intimidating. but business on a handshake is out of the question. i have never had a hard time getting anyone to sign my 3 pagers, and there is harsh language in them like, "court appearance, collection fees, etc." so i'm not sure if adding 2-3 more pages will drive them off. there are a few ways of looking at it. #1- they may think it's good to have all basis covered, and they are dealing with a real pro. #2- it may scare them. #3- they may be bad clients, and this will weed them out right away.