and finally, page #6, of next years contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 16, 2005.

1. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

topsites

i was going yo jump in and agree with you until that post #33

try "i have" instead of "i got"......

also your claims are so far over the top..... i call BS on your posts....

i guess there is finally someone here that is more full of BS than bobby.......

but back to the origional post about 6 page contracts..............

i think that is rediculus for a residental client. i just think bobby either makes up all these problems to get people here talking, or has some serious personality/work issues......

we have the occasional problem with a client, but the discrepancies are nothing a contract would solve..... and if they don't pay, we drop them.....

a day in small claims court would cost us about $300.00 for me to show up.. i'm not about to spend $300.00 to collect $150.00

also you think 10 yards a day is a lot??????

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

2 letters BS ....................................maybe thousands but not hundreds of thousands :dizzy:

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Rod, I finely decided that he is full of himself. 10 yards a day...... he needs to learn a bit more.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Another potential member for membership in Clowns R Us Brian...lol

5. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed if I come up with a good question in these times, it remedies the whole situation, such as: "Were you sitting in your windowsill peaking out the curtain all day long every day looking for me to come?? Their answer will be no, so then I would ask them, "How do you know I didn't come?". There would be some silence, then stuttering, then they would soon thereafter be writing me out a check. This works 99% of the time, come up with the good questions. THis is social stuff now, don't try to combat social with business.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yardpro, that's the difference between you, and me. but thank god, it's not the only difference. if a client pulls that on you, you leave it so that they know they can pull the same stunt on the next 20 lawnboys. BUT, when they try and pull this stunt on me, the final result is, they will never try it again to me, or anyone else. in a nutshell, people like me, make a difference. thanks brad

7. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Also, tell the guy, "Hey, if we are so stealth and professional that you can't tell we were here, then we are doing a really good job, huh? No tires tracks, no grass clippings anywhere, not lingering on the property, all four-stroke (quiet) equipment. I bet everyone wishes their lawn guy was as stealth as my operation is."

Depending on how you deal with social situations, it can make or break your business.

8. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Could he not tell that the property had been mowed more often? I mean, after 5 weeks surely he could tell some it had been mowed more often than that.

9. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer complain to me that his grass was burning out and asked me what to do. I told him he needed to water it more. He insisted he watered it every day already. I couldnt exactly call BS right there to his face, although I knew it was. So I told him he should consider planting more tree's then. Since I diffused the situation, but still told him what he needed to know (water the lawn more), he started watering more often on his own, and his lawn was looking better by the next cut.

As far as your original topic on billing disputes, I have a couple ideas. First, what are your billing cylces? 6 weeks on one bill sounds like you may not be on a regular monthly cycle, but more a close to monthly cycle. Customers percieve this irregularity as unprofessional. Not sure your cycle, but thats one thought.

And as far as a dispute on cuts, it has only happened to me once, and I use the time & date written @ every cut similar to you. It was a honest mistake, I billed him for a cut, and the next month I put that same cut on his bill again. I looked at my records, found the duplicate billing, and fixed it. I have never had a dispute with no validity. I cut on a regular schedule, and have NEVER been later than the day after there normal scheduled cut date, regardless of weather, equipment, or whatever. That helps ALOT becuase they KNOW I am there every week without fail.

Kevin

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Your chances of getting caught are about 1 in 1000 per incident, your odds are good and the longer you play, the longer the odds work, too.
    Handling alcohol... what is there to handling a 12-pack? you're drunk!
    don't worry, i seen more than a few lawnboys drink until it literally killed them, swore to the last day it wasn't affecting them, they could handle it, they were not alkies, many of them could down a case and not appear drunk but drunk they were... I can drink a 12-pack and not appear drunk too but to me, that's an indication of a serious problem.
    At least it explains your attitude towards me and the exuberance, the intolerance, and the extravagance.