and now the b.s begins

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 14, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

now it starts. the customers that said they only wanted grass cutting service, and would do the leaves themselves, are gonna become a problem. the grass is still growing, but the leaves are also falling, which will make our visits fall under the category of "leaf cleanup", and not grass cutting. so i tell them we must charge for leaf cleanup, and they say they dont want leaf cleanup, just grass cutting, i say well then, make sure all the leaves are off the lawn when we get there. its such bullsh*t. i wish everyone was full service. any of u guys have a problem at this time of year?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I was just thinking about this today (scary thought, me and Bobby thinking about the same thing at the same time) and came to this conclusion. When I get done cutting the grass if there are any leaves left I will take the blower and scatter them so they look like they fell there. Kinda natural looking. As for beds and accumulations in the corners that is where the leaves will stay. Some of my customers do not want me to take care of the leaves but I do want to leave the yard looking as nice as possible.
  3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

another thing that is scary is that we all know that about half of these people won't pick up the leaves at all. Then we get to pick up the wet heavy cr@p in the spring. I don't mind doing the work and getting paid more since it is harder and takes longer, but for some reason I'd much rather do it in the fall while the leaves aren't as heavy.
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have properties like that, but they are treated the same as properties I do fall cleanups. The lawn is cut weekly mulching the leaves til last leaf drop after which for those properties which want a fall cleanup I will return and clean everything up.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so scraper, for these properties u make one pass with the mower, discharging the leaves, there is no more time spent than if u were cutting the grass? i cant imagine this being satisfactory
  6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

for the most part no, satisfactory enough for me and the account who isn't paying me to clean up leaves...if they agree to pay a bit more I may make a couple passes to shred the leaves finer....Stone style...LOL

as for the others who pay for fall cleanup...I may make a few passes, but true leaf removal doesn't start til grass stops which will probably be in another week or so here. Some will be cut thru the first week of November though. Just starting to lower the cut the week as I've been cutting them at almost 4" all season with this crazy weather.
  7. Southpaw

Southpaw LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Bobby is right,

I try to get yearly contracts from customers. I include leaf removal and one good pressure wash included in my yearly contracts. When I was a boy, we would go out and knock on doors with our rakes in hand. Have things changed? Do people expect some kind of discount since you didn't reduce the length of their grass? We are still providing a service! I have learned in a short period of time that if they hire someone to mow their lawn, they Will Not rake their own leaves either. When I run across the customer that only wants mowing and no leaf removal, I try to step back even though I still need the business. I don't want to scrape these leaves off of the dead grass in the spring either. I just don't understand some of these customers. If they want a great lawn in the summer, why would they want a crappy looking lawn in fall/winter? I've met some of these customers. They want and want, but they compromise when mowing is not the first priority. I have decided to let them rake their own leaves, but next spring when the dead grass needs raking and such, it WILL be an extra charge. I have had a hard time convincing some customers on a yearly contract. It seems to benefit both of us, but many object to it and I will not push them on it. But I have no sympathy for them when they "never did get to that pile of leaves" they left for us in the spring.
  8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

If they dont pay me to clean up the leaves I just mow trough them. I have Mulching kit installed on all my mowers so really it dont look to bad
  9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just tell that there will be a change in Fall Rates and charge a different increased price for lawn mowing wich inlcude the leaves.
  10. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

If they don't want leaf clean up and only mowing I will just mow it unless it is real bad I don't do it. I only have one or two of these customers.