and now the bullcrap starts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 15, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, it's that time of the yeaR. the grass is growing fast, but the leaves are falling too. so, i ask them (those that are not on our leaf schedule), "would you like leaf removal this season?" they say no. ok, we show up to cut the lawn, it's covered with leaves. here is where the trouble begins. they don't think they should pay extra "for a few leaves on the lawn", but, i timed it today, those "few leaves" took anywhere from 12-25 minutes ABOVE AND BEYOND the time it takes to cut the lawn. so, looks like this season will come to a screaching halt when i inform them, in order to continue, it will be grass fee + $75 per hour (broken down into minutes @$1.25 ea.) charged for every minute over thier usual grasscutting time.

2. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I think that might be a little drastic, but I would certainly tell them politely that those customers that wish to continue their lawn cutting service without having their leaves removed will incur a surcharge of XXX due to the extra time spent to perform the job properly.

Why is it taking you 25 minutes longer? You're just cutting over the leaves, right?

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

GRT, I'm again I'm kinda lost here. I have seen you post quite a few opinions and give advise on the Lawn Care Industry lately on this site, BUT your Profile say's that you are only 22 years old with 0 years of lawn care??

Your Age:
    Years in business:
    How did you find LawnSite.com?:
    Friend

Littleriver1 likes this.
  4. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I like to throw people off :)

5. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I'm 29 with plenty of experience. Someone else signed me up...I've never really looked at my profile to be honest...

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

no, i'm not running right over them, i'm not gonna leave the place looking like sh!t.

7. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

then your charges are completely warranted...

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I don't understand what's going on here. These are folks that aren't paying for leaf removal, but you're not just "running them over".

What are you doing with them? Bobby G most certainly can't be moving leaves for FREE! :dizzy:

Are you doing contracts Bobby? I'll guess 30 cuts a year down there? Why not state it like this in your contract:

25 cuts @ $30
    5 cuts @ $42 (for leaf removal)

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

yes i am doing contracts, they read as folllows: '"grass cutting will end oct. 31st, or when the leaves begin to fall, whichever comes first. after this, we will be happy to provide leaf removal for you, which will be charged accordingly." this is the first week for us that leaves are a problem. until now, they hadn't fallen. damn right they will all be surcharged for this weeks visit.

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

so, you're saying they know from signing the contract, that they will be charged extra for the leaves, but they are still gonna *****?