1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

And the bonehead of the day award goes to...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Jul 19, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

ME! yep, me. i did it. yesterday i cut my wife's grandparent's yard and it was getting dark so i put the mower on the trailer (6x12 tilt) and grabbed the trimmer off the rack. ran down all the stuff to trim and then got the blower. by now it's really getting dusk outside. told them bye and headed for home. take off and make a u turn to go to our house, checked traffic, none there. bammmm, screeechhh, scraaaaaapppppe.

dummy me forgot to strap the mower down (tilt trailer remember, no gate yet) AND i forgot to pin the damn thing down!! trailer tilted upon acceleration and only one side of the brakes were locked or held. the mower did a 180 down the trailer and the right front caster was spinning around as i was driving. luckily this went on for maybe 20 feet (wasn't doing 5mph).

so with this, i here-by nominate myself! :eek:
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

bone head is a good decription . but u too hard on u self . working in a hurry ,which is necessary sometime. these things gonna happen the rest o your life.
    its why i have a little quiet moment every morning ,on my way to my first job.:)
    my greatest fear is that something careless ,that i do might result in
    a child or anyong being injured ,or worse. good luck to u
  3. bettern'goats

bettern'goats LawnSite Member

Everyone has done that. My brother has the toughest time remembering to put the pin in the trailer. I've considered getting a small metal chain and fastening the pin to the trailer. My buddy has got a trailer that locks automatically every time the trailer is in towing position. MEBBE, just mebbe you should consider one of them.
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

That sucks. How much damage was there? Which mower was it. Are you able to put a ramp on a tilt trailer? I never knew that.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

At least you admit it. Iv'e done some dumb things I would rather not talk about. LOL Hope everything is ok? Good luck.
  6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

We all do bonehead things from time to time. It's a real bonehead that repeats them, like me. I spent $100 moving my tail lights and tag to the relatively safe bottom of the rear gate area.Then after getting my trailer back from the machine shop, I went to put my walk behind on the back of it for some maintenence. I got to the top of the ramp and it slowly started lowering. It teetered like the scales at the doctors office, you know? It was the longest "crunch" I've ever heard. You guessed it. It was not attached to my pickup. At least I didn't wound the tailgate of my truck like I did last time. Here's another one. I put Jungle Wheels on my walkbehind last week. It was drizzling a little so I thought I could check out the cut in the drizzle and the Jungle Wheels at the same time. Everything was cool and I was running through the gears trying to get the feel for it. I was in 5th and it was really great. Looked like a pressure washer around my discharge chute. The problem came at the end of a row. This Bob-Cat "had" the old smooth rippled grips and my hands were a little wet and.....well, I did a zero in the street and went flying. I know all my neighbors saw it because I was the only idiot mowing in the rain. Thats all I care to admit too for now.
  7. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Don't be too hard on yourself. Put it in the "I'll laugh about it when I'm old" file!:D ;)

I should get a DA award for my last "doofus".
    Leaving a "Dennys" that I used to have. (Dumped em',they were slow pay)
    Was on my way out of the lot after service. Left my good Tanaka hedge trimmers on top of the tool box on the trailer.(I completely forgot about it.) Had to make a dash to get out and the trimmer flew off and sailed across 4 lanes of traffic!
    Nobody ran over it but the "trip" destroyed it. :rolleyes: :eek:
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

9. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Atleast yall did it and no one saw it. One time, i was at my mower dealership and there was a bunch of my competiiton there and friends there all chatting. It is our little meeting stop to say hi. Well, after load up i started chatting it up. Then i decided i needed to get going and got in and started up and headed out. 20 ft later i stoped, got out and put my ramp up and lock it in. My friends all jeered me and everyone there laughed. But i think we have all done it atleast once. (I have done it alot, but in front of those ppls, i was pretty embarrassed.)

But, you get my vote still for losing it all out the back. hehe.