1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

...And then theres the ditches to mow!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, May 7, 2003.

1. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you mow those really narrow ditches using a ZTR without getting stuck? (and especially how do you when cutting diagonial?) do you mow parallel to them, strait down & HOPE you come back up without DRAGGING the back and scalping :rolleyes: or just use omething else to do it? :confused:
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

WB and trimmers
  3. i go as you can with the ztr the rest with the 21" and if they don`t have to look 100% (like along the highway) the trimmer. I `ve got hung up a few times by that back roller trying to turn deep down in them.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I mow "with" the ditchline first. I start in the ditch and work to the street parrallel. Then I start in the ditch on the yard side going in the opposite direction so it's striped. Then I turn back and cut one row on the level part. From there I just cut it diagonally out to that pass in the level and turn around. I never cross ditches that will cut uneven or scalp and it always looks great.

Give me some time and I'll post a picture for you.
  5. Yep, I agree with Envy. When it’s practical to mow any depression with a large mower, mow with the trim side down in the bottom and come back down the other side. Then mow (stripe) the rest of the lawn as if the trench was a hedge or something.

If you try to straddle the ditch, even a little bit, you will leave a strip in the middle uncut, and probably gouge the other side. Sometimes that trick works (mostly when it’s a smooth depression), and saves a swipe with the weed-whacker.
  6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I normally mow the road side of a ditch, with the discharge side at the bottom of the slope. The other way would just be throwing grass up at traffic.
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow my share of ditches and have found a hydro w/b works best for me. If it's too steep I unhook my sulky and go for it. I give alot of credit to anyone who can use a Z in these conditions.
  8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

you guys never paid attention as to mowing ditches did you!!
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

these days ,i got ditches,[or mabe gulleys would describe them better], i use to mow with my lazer,
    with foot high grass. cant even walk in some with a trimmer. yuk.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we usually use our 32" or 21" and then the trimmer. Sometimes depending on the ditch we can get our 52".

We go with the ditch..unless its shallow and wide then we will go however our direction takes us.