And why are homeowners allowed to do their own lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grandview (2006), Apr 10, 2012.

1. Brown & Co.

Brown & Co. LawnSite Member

lol is that a White Turf marker? Someone should offer to spray those spots with a green marker ;)

2. wrooster

wrooster LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I think one thing folks here have to realize is that the health of a given homeowner's lawn could be somewhere around number 87 on their priority list. College tuition, medical bills for an elderly parent, time management of kids and full time jobs, etc etc etc -- and in the end the turfgrass suffers. It could even come down to simple apathy, or perhaps the homeowner is a complete organic-freak with no chems allowed.

But who cares? In the end it's just aesthetics. No one is going to die from the lawn looking like complete crap.

Wrooster

ps:
    For the record I am a homeowner. Picture below, taken today...

[​IMG]

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Nice upkeep on that lawn.

What always baffles me is why I have to pay $250 in lic. fees plus Continuing Ed fees to app, yet a homeowner can just throw stuff down on their lawn on a whim. Maybe that will change in the future?

4. wrooster

wrooster LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I don't think it needs to change. Professionals get licensed/certified so a) there is a minimum performance standard that paying customers can expect, and b) continuing education means they are kept up-to-date on changing regulations and best current practices.

Joe Average Homeowner buys into the Scotts 4-Step system and hopes to get 80% of the quality of a professional job at 20% of the cost. In some cases it works out fine, and in some cases it doesn't.

Some questions to ponder:
    Is the success ratio of professionals markedly better or arguably worse?
    Is licensing/certification a guarantee of knowledge, expertise, and integrity?
    What would the benefits of "homeowner licensing/certification" be?
    What would the downsides of "homeowner licensing/certification" be?

Wrooster

5. ochosdaddy

ochosdaddy LawnSite Member

Yes, but you can purchase whatever you'd like to apply. They get the option of diluted down garbage with a goof factor in mind. We come in and are perceived as miracle workers after they've exhausted all their resources. You do have a valid point however; homeowners are often the leading misusers of pesticides...

6. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

heres a funny homeowner lawn for you,

bad lawn.jpg

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Likely not in Florida but we sure do in central Texas.... And just why can't they cross some dallis grass genes with other grass and we would be in great shape. Dallis grass is out early this year and so is King Ranch Bluesteim. I guess they will grow at will now that msma is gone.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Wow that is some nice fert striping there!

9. wrooster

wrooster LawnSite Member
    from NJ

How do you know that this particular lawn is done by the homeowner?

Wrooster

10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

That's called the homeowner zebra stripe