And why are homeowners allowed to do their own lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grandview (2006), Apr 10, 2012.

1. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am sure someone at College Station is doing just that. Would be an indestructable lawn for sure.

Dallis is getting much worse in the last few years and pre-em is more important than ever.

2. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

grandview not going to lie it looks a lot like my yard.

3. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

You seem relatively smart, so I will take that as a joke....

Your yard looks awesome, when did you start fertilizing this year
    and what are you using/ rates etc.
    thatching/ aerating/ seeding?
    just curious

4. slemon

slemon LawnSite Member

So you can treat customers' lawn like pro that knows his stuff. Homeowner can utilize your services or do it himself. If he doesn't read the label too bad for his lawn. I can choose to do my oil change at the dealership or buy oil, filter and get dirty.

5. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Dalias grass is a perrenial, pre-em wont work. Maybe I am wrong, please let me know if I am bc I dont know what to spray now that MMSA is off the market for resi's

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

You are correct but the Pre-Em works on stopping the spread or some pre-em will stop the spread.

I have yards full of the stuff next to some of my clients.

I have heard, a mix of Celsius and Revolver as a spot treatment applied 14 days apart in the later summer / fall will suppress/control.
    I feel the stuff has to be dug up after killing it cause the crown is so dense. Might as well use two rounds of Round up. :laugh:

Then again I have seen it come back after being what appeared to be completely dead from Round up. :dizzy:

7. Landgreen

Landgreen LawnSite Member

Mmmm. Similiar to the 85 year old man with parkinsons driving his 40' RV down the interstate dragging a Tahoe behind it. But if us contractors have the wrong type of gas can in our truck we get fined.

Its all about the $. Just follow the trail. Gotta leave the old timer alone or its gonna hurt tourism etc...

8. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Both are a 50/50 mix.. I can see homeowners like me (was a pro back in the day) better than a pro or a pro doing a better job than some homeowners.

I had a sales rep (and 2 "workers" ) from Tru Green 3 weeks ago stop by while spraying (DIM 2EC) and he had no idea on Dithiopyr or Pendimethalin...sad...

Take your $450+ "BS" yearly app and beat it.

9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Homeowners are not required to get license becasue gov't knows people would throw them out of office if they tried-we are a minority and therfore people tend to enact thsi type of regulation becasue they don't see it as an infringemnt on their rights
    ....a little more accountability

10. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

As opposed to a "so called" professional like yourself calling this photo into question and making wild claims about runoff, POLLUTION?, over application, destruction and more knee jerk reactionary alarmist BS comments.

You have no facts, no clue, and no right making these wild claims.

Looks to me like a roundup application. Perhaps it was to eradicate bent grass. Maybe it was a mis application.

You simply do not know, and whats more important?

You don't know, you don't know.