and your punishment is.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i sent out all contracts back in early february. i have only three that werent returned. these are clients i've worked with before, they know the system, 10 equal payments, first one do march 1st, second one due april 1st.....well, if i know these three, they won't send any payments, or contract, but when i start doing thier neighbors, they will come out, "oh, glad to see you, i been so busy, your'e getting started i see........" then they will want to get on the schedule. BUT GUESS WHAT, no way, sorry, there is no room for you on the schedule, the door is closed, you are not allowed in! no way, no how, not even for $1000 a mow! i'll teach them. i'm sick and tired of people trying to run MY BUSINESS .....thier way.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

LOL, shucks Bobby, just tell them that was the earlybird special, just add a 10% or more premium to the account, make it worth your while

3. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

Yup, you teach them by letting them hire someone else who might do just as good for a little less or not be so "business like". It's only a couple of lawns. Please remember, to most people all we do is cut grass. Give them a break for being late, I am sure its the same customers that were late last year.

4. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

Aren't we running businesses? Maybe you are running a charity service or a hobby?

5. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

1001.00 late signing surcharge. :realmad:
    You'll teach em.

6. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Bobby, I know from reading many of your posts that you don't let customers push you around, tell you what to do, how to do the job, or run your business. It seems that once they give you any beef you just get rid of them.

Do you feel that this ever backfires on you and that you end up losing a potentially really good customer? Or do you just not worry about if for there is plenty of people out there looking for a good LCO?

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Punishing them? Interesting choice of words. I doubt though that they'll be "punished". Anyone can be replaced, even you, and you may be surprised the replacement may even be able to provide a more stable service than you. ;)

8. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

Gedd...Have you tried calling them and asking them? Let them know they have until March ** to send a check according to your letter, and if not received then they will be scratched. That way you can get your schedule in order and if you don't hear from them then you'll know that you followed up and they no longer need your services. People are busy with work, kids and their sports, family, etc. I know I have been guilty of putting a piece of mail down, have it get shuffled from the table to the computer, then having it filed (as the little woman calls it) when she's cleaning up. You seem so bitter to these people like you have such a chip on your shoulder. I know my customers are the ones who put food on my table and I try to treat them with respect so that I continue getting referrals. I know you'll say that WE are the bosses and WE make the rules, but what are WE without repeat customers and new customers? It's called unemployed and looking for work.

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Not even for $1,000/mow! You would have to stock shelves for 140 hours to make that.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

rob, they all come back. they get the nasty attitude when you tell them how it is, and they hire someone else. next season they call me back, "hi, i was just wondering, is it possible you have any room left on your schedule for me?" it never fails.