Andora juniper

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Southland, Jan 27, 2001.

1. Southland

Southland LawnSite Member

I am looking for a little advice on planting Andora junipers. I have a 130' by 8' banked area to plant for a customer who wants a ground cover to grow approx. 1' to 2' tall. I am considering using Andora Compacta juniper, but my concern is the location. The area is heavily shaded and only sees the sun briefly during the midday. I have always had good results using this juniper, but never in this application. I guess what I'm asking is will this juniper survive with this much shade?

Thanks,

Southland

2. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Have you asked Mr. Latimore at the extension office?

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Pick another juniper, they won't get the right color with out sun. There is a slight problem they all do need about 4 or 5 hrs of good sun light but will do ok in the shade, have you thought about using a shade loving ground cover?
    Your plantings would look better!

4. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

We have planted spreading yews in heavily shaded areas and they seem to do great. Most Andorras are full sun (8hrs/day).

5. Southland

Southland LawnSite Member

Thanks again for the responses. I should have enough information to make an informed decision. Hope everyone has a good week.

Thanks,
    Southland