Anger at Clients

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, May 23, 2003.

1. Before I get too angry with this client how do you guys handle this situation:

Big yard, lots of zones 28 to be exact....not much maintenance lately...drip mixed w/ bubblers etc. Expensive home. Guy wants us to check system he says water bills are high. We spend 2 hours there checking stuff.....find lots of leaks, fix and set timer as per client. Next day lady calls and says that the water is still running and of the drip/bubbler zones was runnig for 30 minutes to try and accomodate the drip....bubblers then flood a little. My guy sets timer differently and does NOT GIVE BILL.

Today, the guy calls and says that we missed a giant leak that his landscaper found today...we were there 8 days ago. He wants me to send him 1/2 of the labor charges back because we missed it. I tell him no way, but I'll consider sending him 1/2 of the service charge......he says that isn't good enough and we hang up. I look at his bill and see that he signed off on our disclaimer which says:

Service by us does not imply a guarantee on your existing equipment. If you find problems missed w/in 10 days of service we will return without a service call fee and charge for additional time and materials only. However, if a new problem is found you will be charged normal rates.

Yes, my guys missed something, or did it happen in the 8 days since we had been there? Large system, even if he missed something I wouldn't get mad about it.....human error is always a problem. Should the guy be entitled to any money back? He tried like hell to butter me up first before he laid the bombshell on me......funny thing is, he only called because we call 7 days after service to make sure all is well.....that BACKFIRED THIS TIME.

Thanks in advance guys!
  2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

no cash back. stand your ground. period.

3. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

So it was missed, but why would that change the labor and parts for what was repaired, adjusted? If I replace and charge for two rotary heads and get called a week later about a bad mist head, I go replace and charge for that.
  4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

go fix it for free and offer a free college edumacation to his kids........that ought to cover it............
  5. greenworldh20

i still say, stand your ground.:angry:
  6. Interesting twist!

Apparently my tech did his job properly....the second visit that I said we didn't give a bill....well we did! He popped him for another service call......WOW! someone did their job right! So, I will send him his second service call back but nothing else...the guy is acting like a poor man, in a million dollar house!

My worst concern is that he will report me to the Reg. of Contractors and I will have to arbitrate! Hate that

7. greenworldh20

you worry too much. is the service call worth your time? just drop the customer or make it up on another service call.

life is short. live hard.