angieslist.com

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nathan 281, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

looks cool. Its not in my area yet though.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

My company was also placed on Angieslist (by a couple of well meaning customers) this year and I was sent out a letter describing the service and how I would/could benefit, if I completed filled out the appropriate forms etc..

However, Angieslist works on feedback from the customers/consumers who use the list. Very rarely do people take the time to write up a service if the work performed was satisfactory or even exemplary; they do however take the time to give feedback when something real/imagined goes wrong. I cannot recall the how the system works but one negative review by a PITA may sink your ship in Angieslist lil ocean. I am not sure what recourse a company has to correct/defend against a negative review true or otherwise or how problems like this would be resolved.

I chose to avoid the headache altogether. I would be interested in any experiences from other LCO's re Angieslist; good or bad.

James

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

James
    Don't be so negative about this service trust me it is worth it.I get many calls from it every year even if you don't advertise with them.I currently run just a little 12 word ad with them for the year it cost like $450 and the results are great.I must have gotten 30 calls alone this year from them.As far as the negative feed back I have never gotten any...not saying me or my company is perfect because nobody is.I even lost a customer due to the fact she was not happy and she did not leave a bad report.I also got into a disagreement with a customer and dropped her and she never gave a bad report.If you do get a bad report you get a chance to defend yourself its not like the just come out and blast you.So if you have this opportunity take it and get on the list while you can you and your business will be glad that you did.The more reports that you get the more they give your name out to people when they call in looking for your services you basically do nothing but sit back and accept the calls...you won't get a lot at first unless there's not a lot of landscapers on there in your area.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Weird, must not be a zilla-compatible site... I can't get the top menu links to work, can't figure it out...
    I mean I can SEE the basics but I can't get to 'about' or 'quick tour,' none of that works for me.
    ... but it is listed on Yahoo and that means something.

Whether it's like the BBB, no it looks a bit more down-to-earth than that. In the end if you need something removed or you want nothing to do with it, all you have to do is inform them, and they have to remove you... Same goes for credit bureaus, the BBB, any of these places, they're all companies like you and I and technically have no right to gather / display (any) information about you but in the end most folk are not concerned about this specific factor anyhow as the ultimate goal appears to be that if you MOSTLY do the right thing then the list should treat you right...

6. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Firefox and the site works fine. Maybe restart Mozilla.

7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Lux Lawn

Perchance I dismissed Angieslist a bit too hasty and I do appreciate you sharing your positive experience. You say you run an add with them @ $450 per year, I was/am under the impression that contractors DO NOT PAY to be on the list....the subscribers to the list do however pay. Companies are only added when a member of the list reports favorably on services rendered. Could you clarify.

James

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

James
    After you are put on the list by a member then you have the chance if you want to advertise in there monthly publication.You have different options for you add like a 12 word 24 word 1/3 of a page and I think maybe even a half of a page ad.

9. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

What does it cost to be a member and could someone tell me how many LOC's are listed in the Minneapolis area.

10. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Angies list has been great for us. Free advertising.

Another large landscape installer in the area gets almost all of their business from Angies list.

I am considering advertising on the site but am slightly afraid I will only attract poeple expecting perfection but not willing to pay, because Angies list requires you offer a coupon.