Angle Grinder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, May 22, 2005.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I bought an angle grinder from Lowes for $29 yesterday. I got tired of paying $4-6 each for blade sharpening. I always buy name brand stuff like DeWalt etc... but, this thing looks good and has a 2 year warranty. They must be serious about it because there's a receipt holder in the box, just take it back to Lowes for replacement. I solved my no-vise problem with my trailer rail and some vice grips. Oh yeah, it's also a variable speed unit.

2. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Add a 36 grit flap disc to that grinder and you've got one mean blade machine. That price sounds great!

3. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I've used the trailer rail before but the vise eventually scrapes the paint to the bare metal, then it rusts.
    Nowadays, I usually hold the blade with one hand while I grind with the other.
    What this does:
    - Makes me pay CLOSE attention.
    - Only allows light pressure from the grinder, less burn spots.
    - Does a finer job.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a DeWalt disc, a couple of bucks.

6. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

I must have missed something when I have read other posts concerning using angle grinder to sharpen blades, presently I am using a angle grinder with metal disc, in this post mention was made of using 36 grit paper disc, please tell me why 36 grit paper disc is better. Thanks

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is a good guestion I use 50 grit put ontop of a metal cut off wheel. I don't take off much material when I sharpen. I am guessing that if you really want to grind the material away to take out big pits you would use the metal grinding wheel?

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

buy a blade grinder and you'll be glad you did. You guys are sharping blades on mowers ranging in price from $2000 to $10000 with a $30 grinder? A blade grinder can be had for $400 and I have never had to replace the ruby wheel on my blade grinder (6 years old). With a blade grinder you always get a perfect bevel time after time.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't found any bench grinder that I thought could do mulch blades, does yours do those?

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the type of the mulch blade. It will do certain types. However, I don't mulch.