1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

angle grinder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Expert Lawns, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I'm looking to buy a used angle grinder, probably off of ebay. what is a good brand? what do i look for?
  2. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Makita (5" I think) - It's been great. Ebay? Heck it was only $65 or so at home depot. I reccomend it - it's done the job(s) for me.
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out some local pawn shops first, you can touch and feel there. Just make sure shaft doesn't have a lot of wobble to it, then get them to let you plug it in for a test spin.
    If you've never used a grinder, it will be noisy. 4 1/2 or 5" probably best size, larger can be hard to control.
  4. JC's Lawn Service

JC's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have a 4 1/2 inch DeWalt and it has more than enough power, and a good price bought at home depot.
  5. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I think Metabo are probably viewed as the best grinders, but they are more expensive. Some people like the varible speed ,soft start models. I have 4 grinders 3 Makitas,2- 4-1/2" ones, 1- 7" one and a Ridgid one. The Makitas work alright but when you buy one check the triggers out. On the welding site some folks like the Dewalts,Milwaukees,Makitas,but view Metabo as the best. David
  6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I paid 9.99 for mine, ordered it from a catalog, along with some other stuff. use it all year round, works good for me.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Places like Odd Job or the like and even at swap meets they can be found new off brand for like $10 to $20 bucks, or just go to depot or lowes and pick up a name brand for $40 up... Even your local tool shop should have something reasonable.. I have an old dewalt from depot that I paid like $50.oo for and have had for about 10 years now, with no problems. Just watch which grit wheels you get, too aggressive and youll make your blades diasappear really fast... LOL...
  8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

They're not a real expensive item.

I'd just go to Home Cheapo and get a red, yellow, or blue one.
  9. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Since this thread was brought back up I thought I would add my opinions to the subject. I have a Dewalt and Metabo angle grinders I have used them all. If you want the best out there in my opinion it would be the Metabo! They are the smoothest grinders I have ever found. Well worth the money you pay for them. For sharpening blades it should last a lifetime. I bought a 9’’ Metabo for 185.00 on clearance regular price was 365.00 I think the 4.5’’-5’’ grinders run around 200.00. the Dewalt has been a good grinder also, but its not in the same class as the Metabo.
  10. shome1

shome1 LawnSite Member

Well this is my two cents. If you have a Harbor Freight go there. I bought mine about 3 years ago for sharpening blades and it costs almost $35.00

Not one problem so far