Angle Grinders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SIG, Sep 12, 2002.

1. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Does anybody use a 4" angle grinder for shapening blades?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

3. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

65 Hoss,
    Then why does everyone go out and buy these bench grinders. I think they are a pain! With the angle grinder I see what I am doing and keep the angle almost perfect.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Different strokes for different folks, I assume. I've tried both, and I too prefer the angle grinder. I can control it better and get a nice edge put to it. Bench grinder can and will heat the blade real easy. I can control that better with the grinder. Maybe one day I can justify a magnamatic grinder, but until then, I prefer the angle grinder.

5. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I'm with you brother! Cheap, quick, easy. I guess it's just you and me bro.

6. Tidycut

Tidycut LawnSite Member

I use a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. That's not what you asked though, but does that count? :D

Personally I think it's much easier and quicker than using a bench grinder.

Rick

PS. I like this edit feature

7. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I've been thinking about getting an angle grinder. Would be handy if you chipped a blade and didn't have spares with you. :)

8. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We use both. Most operator prefer the angle grinders, since they are easy to use and can leave the blades on the machines. However, with a bench grinder our mechanics can produce a consistant sharp straight edge fairly fast. I belive the bench grinder is faster(especially if you have big nicks), if you know the tricks and had lots of practice. When using a bench grinder - heavy welding glove are a must.

9. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Tidycut,
    I actually meant 4 1/2" angle grinder. I stand corrected. So, yes you agree with me.
    :blob2:

10. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Hey sdwally,
    Love your part of the world, especially up there in LaJolla, awesome place!