Angle to sharpen blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fine Lines, May 11, 2008.

1. Fine Lines

Fine Lines LawnSite Member

Sure this has been dicussed multiple time's but just wanting to hear opinions or hopefully facts on this subject.I've always heard the angle of the cutting tip must not change but wondered what the downfall of it is? Is it just that the blades won't hold a sharp edge as long?
    Also you can sharpen a blade too sharp right.....meaning to fine of an edge that they will dull fast am I correct?

2. The angle of sharpening varies from mower to mower.
    From around 41* for big powerful machines, to 32* for little Honda 21" baggers.
    If you use the 41* angle on the Honda it puts an extra load on the machine. It doesn't have the torque to push the blade if the angle is too steep. It's hard on the mower and it doesn't cut as well.
    Or if you use the 32* angle of sharpening on the big machines it'll blunt that thin edge really quickly and you'll have to sharpen more often and waste blades in the process.
    You can't really get the blades too sharp. Sure the ragged burr and the razor sharp edge are gone the first minute. Getting them that sharp lets you see you're getting them all the way sharpened. They need sharpened all the way down to the bottom edge. If it's kind of rounded over it needs to be ground away.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

you can get the blades too sharp.....

If you take a blade and give it an angel Greater than 45 it wont last very long at all.

I have seen people make a VERY sharp blade and it will last about 3 to 4 minutes...

Of corse I'm talking about a ZTR blade....

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We sharpen 4 mowers every morning to a razors edge,every day they get sharpend......:weightlifter:

5. Fine Lines

Fine Lines LawnSite Member

I'm always sure to stay on top of sharpening but I don't sharpen that often but prolly not mowing as much as you either.
    So let's hear bout a few others,how often you sharpen? Understand the when needed factor but how often is that? I've been doing it about once a week,rotating blades.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad brought blades to me today they get sharpened 2 or 3 times a year,itz a jd rider the blades are medium high lifts they where not dull,now every morning are blades still have a keen edge left on them they are really some what sharp,but they still get pulled,a sharp blade when it is cutting will throw long stems of grass as long as the cut is good and the clippings are long you will be find good night.:cool2: