1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Angry Call..oh man

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by C Cutters, Apr 5, 2007.

1. C Cutters

C Cutters LawnSite Member

Sorry ya'll just have to vent. I got a call today on my answering machine from a local competitor. It said something to the effect of: "Yo man, what is this College Cutters (name of my company) sh**. Quit putting you're flyers in my area, this is my fu***** turf!"
    Alright first off, who has the audacity to actually call another company and leave a message like that. Of course, he did not leave any contact info (wish he had), but still that just irritates all hell out of me. Kind of pissed me off at first, but now it's just motivating me. If this is the caliber of competition I am to be dealing with, then I stand head and shoulders above the crowd. I just can't beleive that there are people like that. Ever happened to any of you guys?

P.S.- I think I will ramp up my marketing in that particular area now
  2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

That's just wrong. I bet this guy did the same thing back when he started.

Like I say, I'm not in business to make friends, but like to run a friendly business.

This jerk probably had a few drinks or grew some guts in front of his friends and left that message to make him look like a tough guy and scare you. Don't let it get to you, but I wouldn't be "ramping up" in any area. You got your message out there. If they want you they will call.

Just watch your gear out of the corner of your eye when in the back yards. Never know how far this guy is willing to take the issue. A quick drive by and grab will cost you a lot of money if your not careful of where you leave your equipment. Just goes to show you how professional this guy is.

Good luck out there. Make some money.
  3. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

ya I'd be upset too, but he doesn't own the place. Id advertise more as well.
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

When ever some one challenges me I just step it up. Some guy spray painted a bunch of my signs. I took them down, replaced them And tripled the amount in the area. So far no more ripped down. Im also going to hammer out more flyers.

5. thes

thes LawnSite Member

Hahaha....I guess he'll get a big surprise when he realizes that HE was one of your motivating forces!!!:laugh: :weightlifter: :laugh:
  6. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i hope you didnt erase the message! i would definately save it for evidence in case of an incidence. you do live in cincinatti!
  7. motoguy

motoguy LawnSite Member

Any chance of matching the time stamp on the answering machine with the caller ID? Might give you the phone number of the guy who called. ;)
  8. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

Don't let it bother you, If he is going to do this to you then I am sure he is not too friendly to his customers either.
  9. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Well he's obviously not very established if he is concerned about you. I don't think any one of my established competitors would lose a minute of sleep over seeing one of my flyers. What a dumbass
  10. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL, wow what a moron.