Angry landscapers anyone???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 3blades, Mar 15, 2004.

1. 3blades

3blades LawnSite Member

I just picked up a little $30 lawn and the guy who was doing it last year i heard through the grapevine flipped out.Said he was gonna put me out of buiseness........lol.hes one of the biggest outfits in the nearby area and im small just starting to grow.Thinks hes gonna bully me around............not !! anybody else deal with that garbage? also advice,,,,,should i call him and smooth things over because I know him and THOUGHT we were freinds or should i go to war??????????????

2. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like he is mad cause you undercut him, he lost a lawn, how would you feel? Did you know this was his lawn and you under bid him or was this just coincedance? If you thought friends and business went together, you were wrong.

3. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I am friends with several local landscapers and we have a gentlemans agreement that we wont bid on each others properties. Other than them its fair game!!!

4. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I had a similar situation with plowing... I got a call from a guy who needed a plow service. So I went over told how much(standard amount for NJ area,didnt knowingly underbid) he agreed and I started to plow. As I was plowing a guy showed up with a plow and this was his customer.... I felt pretty dumb and bad actually....

Unfortunately homeowners arent straight with you..... You may unknowingly shanghai someone.... unfortunate, but it happens.... It has been done to me as well... part of the whole deal, you win .... you lose ... I try not to knowingly shanghai anyone....

5. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about it dude...I walked up to a place this weekend and introduced my company...I told him "looks like you have someone already by the stripes I see from last year, but if you are interested, I charge $30 for the same service, but with much better weed eating than that guy"...he said ok, seemed fair, but would probably stick with what he has....then said "what would you charge me to trim the shurbs...about 30 minutes of work...I told him $30 more, but if he gave me the lawn, I'd do it for free"....signed deal 2 minutes later....didn't "undercut" lawn price of devalue myself, just ADDED service

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

This comes up all the time and I wonder how anyone gets accounts. Do you really think businesses don't go after each others customers? The successful business owners don't take it personal but rather find a way to be more competitive. It's a very small mind that gets angry about losing a customer. I can see it now, Wal-Mart loses a customer to K-Mart and the W manager throws a tantrum with all the asst. managers.

7. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

i hope this guys name isnt Tony Soprano :)

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think it would hurt to give him a quick call and just let him know no hard feelings. I dont think its a good idea to have another company hating you in this biz, you would be surprised, but having a good relationship with another company can really benefit you.

If you were to ever get sick, or breakdown, a nice guy can come in hand, i would make sure your on good terms

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

How did you not undercut the guy? Your doing the shrubs for free!! You told the customer the other service did a poor job of trimming. Doing work for free isn't really "adding" service either.

10. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

Proenterprises, you make a good point about having friends in the business. It's nice when you have some good alliances.

Nevertheless, my view is that at the end of the day, a friend in the business is a competitor. You can't tiptoe around your competitor's clients; sometimes you don't know who they are. It's silly to be scared to play a little hardball; sometimes that's what you need to do to earn respect in this business.

3blades, I say stick to your guns, be proud of your work, and don't be intimidated by any other company. If this guy flew off the handle because you earned his client, he won't be a good alliance for you anyway...just my $.02.