1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Animal Waste

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kutnkru, Feb 8, 2001.

1. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I thpought that with the season quickly approaching that i would bring this up.

I received a letter from one of our grounds crew this morning. He has asked me to address his concerns about animal feces on the lawn areas for this season (actually asked us to drop several that got very bad last fall). He thinks that it is not only disrespectful for "clients" not to have the areas cleared for them. When they know which days and damn near the times he will be there - he cant figure out why the problems persist??

I usually drop a dime and ask them to help us out. After the second offense I send a letter stating that we had the machines soiled in feces again and that if the areas in concern are not cleared for us we will have to add a surcharge of $5 to their bill for each offense after this.

How do you address this issue with your customers. What have you implemented a "fine"(surcharge) for the problems.

Thanks for the help.
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had to drop customers because of this. I got sick of the crap caked on my mower wheels.
  3. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

In the past I have always asked my cutomers to please pick-up after rover. I would explain to them how that smell is on a 95 degree day, not to mention how sickening it is if it makes it into your truck. Most have complied and some will come running out to pick-up if we show up early.
    I had 1 customer that ignored repeated requests that I added to the bottom of his bill. I approached him in person and he said it was an occupational hazard. I said not anymore. I quit his lawn on the spot. As a result I lost 1 other lawn, his son's. Both jobs were easily replaced. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Most metro areas have one or more companies that specialize in removing dog dirt from the yard. Find out who does this in your area and refer the customer to them.

Otherwise I agree to drop the account. The only dog dirt I have to deal with is that of other peoples dogs leaving deposits between the sidewalk and curb.
  5. kutnkru

Believe me i try to bend over backwards with politeness when addressing this issue so that I dont call them slobs. I never thought about looking into a disposal service. maybe that is a clause that I could add to their agreements.

6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I hate when it gets on the wheels of my 21" and then soon after have to adjust the height:( I will be dumping one of these two dog accounts this year . First I will offer to clean it weekly which will take twenty minutes and cost them more than the mow price. Gee I wonder if they will go for 45$ to mow 3k ft of turf.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

just have to live with this one on the common grounds areas but when it comes to single homes it's a tuff one

use to have a lady .... small back yard with 3 huge dogs (110 lb@) slow payer so the boot .....have another has 1 large dog big fat account, good payer and we live with it

I know a guy who tried that doggie scoup service .....tied it in with his pet grooming, walking & babysitting seems to work for him .....but great idea to tie it into one's own existing clients whom need it ;-)
  8. kutnkru

Go for it. It cant hurt to ask. I too hate to clean the machines of it.

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that this was pertaining to Residential Clients. I agree with you. On the money makers there is no discussing it(within moderation).

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Add a little more to the bill, and dispose of it yourself. What I mean by dispose of it, is this. Take a quick walk around with your shovel before you start, when you see some, right next to the pile, just cut a slit by standing the shovel down into the ground, and open it up. Deposit the deed, and close the slit with your foot. ALL GONE! And you're charging to get rid of it!
  10. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I agree with Runner , He took the words right out of my mouth!