Animosity toward customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Caddyshack Lawn Care, Jul 16, 2013.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Why not use Free Shipping.

2. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

That all sounds wonderful....roller skating with a customer and all.....but I generally try to avoid my customers at all costs because the results are usually bad: 1) they waste my time talking about stuff i could care less about....2) they cost me money while my crew sits out in the truck doing nothing.... Or 3) complain and/or ask me to do additional services for free....usually starting out with a "would you mind...(fill in the blank)"...). Don't get me wrong, I'm a friendly guy and I would never do or say anything intentionally rude but personally I'd rather spend time with my wife and kids than on their front porch talking about their abusive ex- husband, about the weather or how their car is in the shop. Sorry I don't care.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  3. charlesdjones1

charlesdjones1 LawnSite Member

If only every LCO had this same outlook. It's unrealistic to expect all of your customers to be happy all the time. I have worked in various service industries and can tell you, great work = great customers. When I ran a pest control route back in the early 2000's, I only had complaints from customers whose problems weren't resolved, and was always willing to listen to their needs to get the job done, it was very gratifying knowing that when I left a service that I had met their needs. The lawn care industry is no different, and a lot of the services I provided then are carried over today. Get in and get the job done right the first time and 99% of the time you won't be getting a call back from them. Customers remember even the smallest mannerisms, and facial expressions, it means a lot to them at the end of the day that they have a professional working on their property.

4. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

Excellent customer service allows you to charge a premium price for an average product.

5. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Until they find out their neighbor pays $10 less per week -- $40 less per month. Then all bets are off. I believe the best customer service/job security = showing up every week like you're supposed to and cutting their lawn nicely for a fair price. Anything over and above that will either take money out of your pocket, waste your time, keeping you away from your home and family, or both. I realize there are two schools of thought on this...so I'm not saying I'm right regarding the mow-and-get-the-heck-outta-there philosophy -- different strokes for different folks. My type of service will appeal to a certain kind of customer while yours will appeal to another kind. In general though, the laws of economics say that the higher your price is, everything else being equal,
    the fewer customers you will have.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

And, the attitude will be easily noticed by the customer.

LS is populated with threads with LCOs complaining dealers "not caring." If LCOs are savvy enough to pick up the "don't care" attitude, why won't a customer pick up the "don't care" attitude as well? The "don't care" isn't constrained to the latest social party, the latest achievement of their student, or the loss of a loved one. It extends into the work scope as well. We don't work in isolation.

7. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup.

Like I said...

As I'm out working, I see a lot - and I mean a LOT of "professionals" out there.
    There are very few that I'd ever allow to set foot on my property though based on simple observation.
    The way they act, look, work, talk...

Those HAVE to be the guys with all the complaints.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  8. Liberty Lawnworks

Liberty Lawnworks LawnSite Member

I agree. Just go to a gas station when a typical landscaping crew is getting fuel/snacks and listen to the way they talk. F-bombs while wearing company shirts is a no-no.

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Customers don't dictate my schedule--I dictate my schedule. If a client tells me that I need to be present for work on a certain day, I usually respond with, "I would really like to be there but already have made commitments for that day." Remember, YOU own your business, not your clients.

10. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Tom-n-Texas . . . . Amen!

I'm 64 and physically cannot do a lot of things anymore.

Most misery in life is optional.