1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Animosity toward customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Caddyshack Lawn Care, Jul 16, 2013.

1. bodaggin

bodaggin LawnSite Member

This is actually an interesting topic.

I don't hate my customers by any stretch but I am sure that they understand exactly how service works before they sign up. I'm extremely honest with them and any red flags from either side should be worked out upon signup.

From there I never want to hear from them until they sign up again; that includes compliments.

I run my business for money and plan absolutely every part of the grass cutting visit to be efficient right down to the way I gas up my mowers.

This is why I'm able to cut, trim and bag 41 yards (.2 acre) in one day by myself.

It would be a slap in the face to put all that thought into efficiency planning and then sit around and talk all day. If I wanted to sit and talk I'd work for a union or the gov't, but I wanna make money so I bear down and work.

I give that body language when I show up and customers respect that I'm there to get in and out, and they even really commend the work ethic.
  2. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Right there with you. This is all about the money for me. I'm not doing this to make friends. I am just too busy to chit chat. Dont get me wrong, I think I'm friendly, and I'm constantly reminding myself that these people are paying me and therefore i should be gracious, grateful and thankful, but at the end of the day every last detail of my daily schedule is geared towards making the most money possible with the least time and effort. I'm already working till 6 or 7 every night....no sense making this have to be harder than it already is.
  3. mlc13

mlc13 LawnSite Member

Be courteous,dependable and reasonable and word of mouth will get you all the customers you can handle. remember every day is what you make it.
  4. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Wow what kind of machine are you using to cut 41 lawns a day solo!??!?

Even at a quarter acre at 10 minutes a lawn with 5 minutes travel time, that's 10.25 hours with no breaks none stop.

It's possible, highly unlikely...but possible if your route is that tight and your that efficient. I just don't see where you fit 8.2 acres of clippings on the truck!

But anyway, I live by the law of attraction. Which states "like attracts like"...everything in your life you attract. To me the difference between a job and a career is not money, the difference is when money can't buy you from it.
  5. bodaggin

bodaggin LawnSite Member

Definitely has been done. Just work the full day 14hr day from 7am to 9pm within the hours of the noise bylaw. Can't tell you what kind of equipment, that would give away my advantage!

But my clippings go into my trailer. Probably take off about 800lb of clippings in those lawns? Everything structured for efficiency. I think about 80-100km of city, residential street drive distance throughout that whole route.
  6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I dunno, I mean I wouldn't want every client to come out to talk my ear off, but a quick chat once in a while is good for business no matter how tight you like to run things. I'd rather get ten minutes behind and have that personal relationship with my clients than treat them as nothing more than check-writers.

And dogs. Dogs make my day.
    Any day I get to stop to pet a dog for a second (and maybe chat for a few) is a good day.
  7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Amen to that. I have a customer with a German Shepherd. He's a big lunky thing. Every time she comes to the door she tries to stop him. I tell her to let him go, I'm ready for him. LOL Half the time he'll knock me on my azz. :laugh:
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the extraneous chat time is the best $/hr of the season. End-of-season bonus payments ... It makes the $60/hr rates look cheap!
  9. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I think a lot of people come on here to vent about a bad customer they've had.

I really appreciate most of my customers. A lot of them are extremely kind and grateful.
  10. Tylerr83

Tylerr83 LawnSite Member

Totally agree. A lot of us on here either vent or use the site as a resource to solve problems with customers, equipment, whatever. It probably makes most of us seem more negative than we are.

I appreciate the majority of my customers as well as I'm sure most guys on here do, but a handful of PITA customers can ruin an otherwise good day/week from time to time. And its not just about being thick skinned or not as I've heard mentioned before. Dealing with obnoxious people can be draining.