1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

annoying customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contra, Jul 22, 2001.

1. contra

contra LawnSite Member

i have one yard that the person insists on only coming to cut when she calls. She blames the wheather for her "call on demand". I said it wold be a lot easier to get on a shedule but she refuses. The other annoying thing is she only calls every two weeks so the yard looks bad! Any advice?
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

put a 1 in front of her per cut price ........ 45 = 145
  3. Butchs Lawn

Butchs Lawn LawnSite Member

drop her like a rock unless she pays really good?
  4. solaras

solaras LawnSite Member

I'm with Butch. Dump the B****!!!
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This is typical and it doesn't mean she is a bad person. She is probably on limited income.

I have been successful with this type of customer. It is a good type of customer to have, if you work it right.

If I'm right, she's not picky about how the lawn looks. So when she calls, be honest with her. Tell her you have recurring accounts already scheduled, but you can get to her within the next three days or so.

Because she is not picky, this is the kind of lawn you can mow when it is damp or lightly raining. Or you can drop a rookie employee off and run some errands like going to the bank or to the equipment dealer for parts. Or when your blades are dull.

Just because someone hires lawn care, doesn't mean they want the best lawn in the neighborhood. They just want the lawn beat back down every now and then.

On the other hand, if she is picky, too, just make sure you are charging her enough to do what she wants you to to.

If she's picky and doesn't want to pay for what it costs you to do the work, then you are better off letting her go.

Just my $.02

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Weigh out the good and bad. If you need the business for now, keep her. If you do not, get rid of her. It is hard when it isn't kept up to your standards with weekly mows. Might look a little shabby after 10 or so days and if the neighbors don't know the whole story, you might look bad. What's the exposure of the lawn? Is it a high traffic area? Good exposure bad exposure/ Etc...
  7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

she wants bi-weekly service, make sure your charging what you would charge for 2 weekly cuts. If your getting your money's worth from her, and you need the business, keep her on for now. Once you grow and need to decide who to get rid of of of your scheduele when you get a better client, keep her at the top of your list!

Anopther thing that I'll disagree with is one of the previous comments about doing half @$$ work for a customer. I wouldn't care if they want top of the line or not, if your a pro they get it or they can't be your customer. Your name is on the job you do. People that drive by and see you there don't know that she wants a sloppy job, they think thats how you work. I would choose not to service an account that doesn't let me take pride in my services.

Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those! ;)

Hope this helps!
  8. contra

contra LawnSite Member

thanks for advice if i ever have too much this is the one to drop.
  9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree strongly with guido, The job that you do is your signatuer. If you want to get more business, then the job has to look like a professional had done it. People will look at that job and say My god I sure wouldn`t want that company doing my lawn. Beside if we are supposed to be professionals, wanting to make the highest dollars on our jobs, why wouldn`t we want the jobs to look their best. It would drive me nuts if I left a job that looked like someone half a$$ed it.
  10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I would just tell her that that isn't your type of business to wait till she calls to cut. You have a schedule to keep and that she would be best off hiring a neighborhood kid to cut it.