Annoying customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grassboy, Apr 28, 2000.

1. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

I have a customer who is a very kind couple, but they are as annoying as hell. While I am mowing the lawn they keep stopping me. "Jeff, are you going to get that spot trimed in the back?" They say. Or something like that, and I am not even done!!! I have so much time wasted on that lawn at least an hour each time I mow it, and it is a tiny lawn! I am not getting paid enough to stop that much. How would you handle someone like??

2. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

We have learned from wasting at least two hours a day to a certain property manager to hide whenever we see her van coming down the road. As for residential customers we just pause, nod and keep moving. Sometimes we pretend that they aren't wanting to talk to us.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

WE all have these type of customers at one time or another. Just tell them nicely and sternly that you haven't finished yet. Never turn your equipment off when they start to talk. And just keep moving. Working with the public is a pain in the ass and now u just starting to get a taste of it

4. Charles

Lawnforce we said about the same thing lol. I didnt see your post first

5. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

Yeah, no kidding! I had to read yours twice because I was wanting to post again to agree with you!

6. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

best thing to do is try to set up your schedule so that these types of lawns are done when they're NOT HOME! Can't always be done every time but I find a way if they're bad enuf. Also I tell them at the first instance that I'm not done with the lawn until you see my trailer loaded & me starting the truck.<br>You are probably getting this because of your age. The younger you are, the dumber the public thinks you are. I'm 31 & I get it from an occaisional new customer who isn't used to my methods. If it's a recuuring problem, I get more firm with them that it's my business, & I do things in a particular order for efficiency. If they have a prob. with that, I drop them. I will not let a cust. tell me how to do my job.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

7. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Yardsmith-<br>I still don't quite get how you can act sternly to a customer and still seem &quot;nice&quot;. In my case, since I am 16 yrs. old, I always feel as if my stern attitude I sometimes use comes across as disrespectful. This is a reacurring problem though, what should I do? Also, when billing should you call ahead of time to inform customers of an addition charge you have given for something like having to mow the lawn 3 times because the customeer doesn't like the clumping. I just tried calling a lady that told me to cut it down to 3&quot; when it was at about 7&quot; to begin w/. Took me 2 hrs. (I mow by myself). I was so angry that night I called her up and told her, trying to be kind but stern, that I was going to charge her $15 extra. Not very significant of a charge. We were both talking on the phone for a while beating around the bush, both of us trying to seem nice when we were actually both pissed off at each other. She is SOOO ANNOYING! i AM planning to just send her the invoice w/ the extra fee on it. What should I do? Their family is pretty wealthy, but are soooooooooooo cheap! I can't figure out what to do. Help!<br>

8. Charles

The thing to do Grassboy is to agree on a price BEFORE you do any work. And if you are not happy with the offer for your services including the extra work required. Dont feel you have to do the job. Too stressful to go home and think about how much someone is taking advantage of you. If the grass is high and they want it cut low. Negociate the price before you unload any equipment and be prepared to drive away. If they are not home call them later and tell them it will cost more money for extra work still before you do it.

9. Grassboy

Grassboy LawnSite Member

Thanks charles I think I see my promblem now. Anyone else care to share about their annoying residential customer experiances, and how they solved the problem.<br>

10. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had an old couple that would follow us around the yard as we worked. You would have to ask every time if they wanted the grass bagged, etc.<br>One time she asked if we could water the yard. She gave us a couple hoses and sprinklers. The only reason I did it was that I wanted to mow it the following week.<br>Turned on the hoses and left to service a couple other accounts. Returned to put hoses and sprinklers away.<br>The following week she accused &quot;that man&quot; (my Dad worked with me that day) of taking her sprinkler.<br>After searching the garage I found the sprinkler under some boxes (not even close to where I put them)<br>Some old folks need a HOBBY!