Annoying phone calls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eshreve1234, Apr 8, 2004.

1. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

This is my first year with any type of advertising budget. I had some door hangers printed up at a local printer, and they had the perforation at the bottom for a tear off card. On this card estimates was spelled estimated. Well the printer gave me a break on the price and I figured why not still use them. So last night I get a call from a guy who just wants to correct my spelling, and "would never pay to have his lawn done". I treated him politely, but I am still annoyed by this. Is this the norm? Thanks,

Eric

2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Eric, I think you might have stumbled on the ideal way to screen out potential PITA customers. I may do something like this on my next advertising.

Congratulations on this breakthrough!

3. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,

That sounds like you just got some know-it-all who wanted to flaunt his "infinite wisdom" on you. If you would have stayed on the line I'm sure he would have told you your equipment was junk and that he could run things better too. You'll get some legitimate calls so hang in there. However, you'll encounter some of these types when you are out cutting - I call it the know-it-all neighbor syndrome.

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

seems like you intruded on his life with your door hanger,,,,why is he annoying you by replying?

5. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

Eric, brilliant idea! Like was mentioned above, you just found a new way to weed out PITAs. Spell something wrong and wait for them to tell you about it. Although I may be a PITA myself, my ad in the local paper was David's Lawn Mowing, LLC instead of Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC. I called to have it corrected and the skank on the other end of the line had attitude like it was my fault for correcting her on her poor grammar. I mean, she had my full name and everything, and she still got it wrong! Jeez!

6. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Wow if this spelling scholar has the time to correct you on spelling he must not have a life. There are always "A" holes out there who want to think they are better and smarter than other people by trying to show how smart they are. These are the type's of people you just sit back and laugh at, for they know no better. I think most people view "lawn guys" as ignorant slugs who can't get a better job. Maybe you could call this guy back and ask him if he could proof read your next ad or door hangers cause you "ain't" sure how to spell to good.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I actually had one customer had me back my brochure with corrections for spelling. She did choose some services, but it just blew me away. The funny thing was that half of her corrections were actually wrong.

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

just wait until you get the drunk guy that calls you at 9pm just wanting to shoot the shiznit. Had one guy call me (after 12 bush lights) and talk my ear off for a half hour about how he used to have a lawn care company back in the 80's. I bet he's still got the haircut too.

9. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the feedback/support. Most of the calls have been positive, except this guy, guess he struck a nerve.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

You'll get more calls like this as you build your business. Not just about spelling errors. Some people will call and ***** about just about anything. It's crazy.

It's easy to get all bent out of shape about this kind of stuff. I empathize. But don't. Don't let ignorant people control your attitude. They are just ignorant. Be sad for them. But don't respond in any way at all. It's not worth wasting even one iota of mental energy on people like that.

Remember that we all have a certain amount of mental energy available before we just become mentally tired and worn out. Don't waste that energy on the ignorant.