annual bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by David Shaw, Jan 10, 2004.

1. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

When you are planning a large annual bed how do you figure your plants? 1 per square foot? I'm thinking impatients.
  2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I just go by the tag on the plant. And since we heavily fert all our flower displays, I plant them a few inches further apart, than the maximum recommendation on the tag. Most plants get bigger than the tag indicates, if they are taken good care of.

For years, I planted them too close together because they are small when you first put them in and you want a nice affect ...but I finally learned to plant based on what they will look like in 2 months, not 2 weeks
  3. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I plant impatiens 12 inches apart. For customers that I know are "impatient" and want results now, I plant 6-8", but they get charged for the extra plant material and labor.
  4. David Shaw

Thanks, I'm getting ready to work up a proposal for some landscaping at an office I do the mowing at. There is a couple of big planters that are part of the building. Under a roof. Gonna put some annuals in there.
  5. EvandSeby

EvandSeby LawnSite Member

I can't get the impatients in the ground fast enough.....................
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you fertilizing them with?
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Peters flower starter fert when planted

then every 2-3 weeks I use Peters Super Bloom ..I think its 10-60-10..great results with this product...also have had good results with epsom salts...high in magnesium...WalMart seels epsom salts in large bags...learned this tip from an old lady from England...shes said in Europe epsom salt is widely used as a flower fert...the Brits know their gardening
  8. David Shaw

Does anybody ever use miracle grow? I use it home, don't know why but I've seemed to have better luck with it that peters.
  9. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Miracle gro is great is you can repeat the application every week. Not practical for most landscapers. A good high quality slow release is what I use. I use start'n'gro from fertilome for my impatiens -- and they do really well.