Annual Bluegrass Weed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lost Pine, May 7, 2006.

1. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

I'm in New Jersey. Will the heat of summer kill this weed....Igot got a property tha tis 15,000sqft. Has a lot of Bluegrass and I was wondering, treat it or let the heat kill it.....

If you were going to treat it, what would you use....?

Thanks all !!!!

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's a winter weed , yse , the heat will kill it off.
    However , if ya wanta make some money , you could charge for the unneccessary 'cide useage like the rest of us do .
    90% of 'cides are unneccessary and done just for profit

3. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

OK then, what would you use to treat it ...?

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Just water , cuzz the heat is gonna kill it off anyway .

Glyfosate on bare ground

If it's in a lawn , I do not know

5. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

Poa Annual is hard to get rid of.

It is a true winter annual and produces seeds in the spring and then dies in the Summer. The seeds germinate in the fall.

The problem with poa is that it will die in the heat and leave you with bare patches.

Anything that kills poa annual will also kill the rest of your desirable grass. Poa is very competative with other grasses and you can't prevent seedheads by low mowing since it can produce seed at heights around 1". Each seedhead produces hundred of seeds.

Once you've got it, the only sure way to get rid of it is to use a soil fumigant to kill EVERYTHING including the seeds, and then start over.

If the problem areas are not too big, you can try this: wait for the poa to die this summer, seed the heck out of the bare spots and water, water, water to get the grass to grow in the bare spots. Then use a premergent this fall to prevent any seed from germinating, poa or otherwise.

If you wait until fall to seed, the poa seed in the ground will start to germinate and you'll have it again next year. By applying a preemergent, you'll have less next year but you'll never get rid of it entirely. You'll be fighting it every year. For lawns with this "weed", overseed in the spring and premergent in the fall every year to keep it in check.

6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The heat will kill poe/annual blue but the temperatures have to be in the upper 80's to 90's for several weeks. You can spray Revolver to kill it in bermuda grass. The best time to spray Revolver is late October/November. You can spray it now and have good results.

7. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

I would spray it with Paclobutrazol, to inhibit the Poa. This would take several apps over the season, and should also include Iron to limit any discoloration of the desirable grass.

8. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, this will make me think twice about calling in my landscaper to get rid of the Annual Bluegrass weed that I am struggling to get rid of. Thanks for the heads up....................

9. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

However , if ya wanta make some money , you could charge for the unneccessary 'cide useage like the rest of us do .
    90% of 'cides are unneccessary and done just for profitSpeak for yourself, this isn't true of all LCO's

10. Agri-AFC

Agri-AFC LawnSite Member

One of the best selective products to use in cool season grasses (dormant overseeded bermuda) to control Poa annua is Prograss. Prograss is made by Bayer and it provides both pre- and post - emergent control of Poa annua, which will allow you to fight Poa through its cool season germination and growth periods. Good luck.