1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Annual contract info/help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pinehilllandscaping, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Pinehilllandscaping

Pinehilllandscaping LawnSite Member

I started a landscaping business this year with a partner and I was looking for info on annual service contracts. We got a late start this year due to delays in getting all of our start up stuff finished, i.e. lawyer, business license, insurance,etc. Since the late start most of the people in the area already have their services set up, which leaves us with a few jobs or some I really don't want to take but do for some business income.

I tried doing a search on this topic and found a few ideas that were helpful and wanted some advice on a plan I was looking at taking.

I was thinking of having three different contract packages for next season,
    1). mowing,trimming, & blowing for 28-30 weeks.
    2). mowing,trimming, & blowing for 28-30 weeks with 1 spring cleanup and 3 fall cleanups that basically cover removal of leaves.
    3). same as number two but include aeration, seeding, fertilizing.

All three would have a 10% discount for full prepay upfront or billed out at the first of the month. Do you think this is to complicated to pitch to the customer or just keep it simple and go with the basic lawn service then provide the other services as ad ons?

Ideally I would like to land around 20-25 contracts for the next year. I am working full time and am starting out with the business part time to build up a client base and also pay for equipment. Hopefully by year two or three I can have everything I need and a nest egg built that I can dive in full time at that point. This is a great forum and I have learned alot in the last week that I have been searching the site. Hopefully some of the ol pros can give me some pointers. I am also hoping to get all of the proper certs/licenses for appling pesticide and fert for next season during the coming winter.
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like no one wants to throw anything in. Well let me try.

I would keep what you got going. Your lucky that you can get 28-30 cuts a year. Its hard for us to get 20 cut in a season. I like the idea of giving them an option. You never know whos gonna want the whole shabang. Start out by telling them about the basic stuff. But also tell them that there are other services. And make sure to leave them with info if they dont sign up for it.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How about you have one contract that allows the customer to choose the services they would like for the year? Not packages.. but a list of services that they choose from.
  4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I think this would be the best :D