1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Annual Flowers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by proscapeINC, Mar 24, 2002.

1. proscapeINC

proscapeINC LawnSite Member

Was interested in any fertilizing tips or care for annuals imparticular Impatients. I have a number of customers interested in annuals this season. I've seen some people grow them 3-4'high in some areas this looks great any help?????????????
  2. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

3. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

With seasonal color you really only get one chance to do it right. I would suggest raising the bed for good drainage. If the customer does not have an irrigation system I would not install. you need to use amendments, I use super soil. (till it in)

As for fet go with a 1:2:1, 1:1:1, 1:2:2 or similar. One to Two ponds per 1,000 sf2. If you go excessive on the nitrogen this will make the annuals look leggy.

Mulch bed with a good mulch, pine needles are a mess.

Make sure you water in well after install. The water requirments are like turf grass Deep, less frequent irrigation promotes deeper rooting.

You will need to keep on eye on them and when doing your maint at the property you will need to deadhead the plants to encourage new blooms.

Soil ph for most annuals are between 5.0-7.0

Make a 1 foot buffer around bed some they don't get eaten by a string trimmer.

You can use a piece of pvc pipe to assist in getting the holes dug. this works well because the soil is easy to work with after tilling.

Hope this might help.
  4. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Using mycorrizae will certainly enhance root development and subsequently, your plant health. You need only mix it into the bed area once, as the mycorrizae will remain in the soil.
  5. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Impatiens are real easy to care for,they will grow in most positions,they particularly like moist,shady spots,they will grow in full sun as long as the get plenty of water.For feeding they like a liquid fertiliser high in potash(K)to keep them flowering prolifically.The varities you buy in the plant nurseries/garden centres tend to be dwarf varities bred to stay compact and flower lots.Taller plants tend to be older varities or seedlings that have reverted to their taller habits.There are also a variety called "New Guinea Hybrids" that has larger flowers and tend to be taller plants sometimes up to 4-5 ft high,they all grow easily from cuttings and there only enemy seems to be frosts.
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

New ginia Impatients grow 4-5 ft high in NZ?:eek:
  7. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yes Evan where we live they grow 4-5 ft,theres no frosts here to worry them,they seed all over the place and can be a nuisance in the garden,they quickly can take over a spot,they easily grow 4 ft in a season.Not to be confused though there are also dwarf versions that stay very compact about a foot high,thats probably what you have seen in garden centres,they flower lots and are good in the garden or planted in pots.