annual i've seen but need an id

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Aug 20, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

it shreds quite a bit when cut. i'm talking about the grass going to see with an almost purplish fluffy seed head in the picture. any ideas?

IMG_1598.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

The grass in the middle is yellow foxtail. Or do you need the little speedwell like stuff to the left. If so, move in a bit closer and post that photo.

3. CrownLawnSvc

CrownLawnSvc LawnSite Member

That sure does look like a foxtail panicle. My bets are on fountain grass. Is there some close by that could have contaminated the area?

4. mrkosar

from Ohio

i'm pretty positive it isn't yellow or green foxtail. it does look like a foxtail though. it has more of a purplish seed head compared with the other two mentioned.

there is a much larger growth across the street that looks more like a bush and i'm sure it is spreading into the lawns from that.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It looks like what we call Deer grass, blooms in Oct. here daytime temps in the 90's nigh time temps low 70's. Could also be purple fountain grass the fountain grass blades are wider like a Fescue and the deer grass is thinner more like a perennial Rye grass. They get 18"-24" tall.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i promise you it is fountain grass seeded from someones landscape. it seeds the crap out of itself and makes a mess when it gets into the lawn areas.

7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It's definitely a moudry fountain grass, black....

8. mrkosar

from Ohio

fountain grass it is. thanks guys.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, Fountain Grass....just planted 6 of them for a little installation job last month.

I've never seen it in a lawn though.

MrKosar, is there a lot of this in beds nearby?

10. mrkosar

from Ohio

no it was actually across the street in their front lawn by the sidewalk. the seed must have blown over. only one plant too. it looks horrible in lawns and shreds pretty badily when cut. looks like tall fescue, but worse because it has a white tint to it after being shred.