annual letters( help)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagwildcat, Mar 5, 2008.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

hi everyone, i was sitting here typing letters for this up-comin season, and doing so, made me think that this might be a hard year for me in my area. i as many of you need to up our prices, and doing so makes me think that i might loose a ton of clients this year, the most i will go up is $5, however, last fall i had some people come to me and ask if i was going to use the old fuel excuse to increase prices this year? i understand that most people are in hard times and so am i, why is it so hard for clients to understand this also, they buy gas/diesel? dont they, they may not know about running a biz.and not have to pay for so many things (overhead) but, gas and fuel we all need to buy! yesterday i paid 390 a gal! do i eat the cost again this year, or do i take a risk and go up! mind you that what i have been doing in the past was go up based on the number of years they have been with me, usually i dont go up on price for the first few years, last year i went up on the people i had for five years... so i dont usually go up often...

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I would raise your price it is not that much. We are doing the same "The cost of doing buisness". If you loose them they will just pick up someone else that is actually eating those gas prices. There are alot of customers out there looking for you. Advertise Advertise. :waving:

3. waltslawn

waltslawn LawnSite Member

hey there,
    i am in indianapolis.in.i am upping my prices by 5.00.i just tell them its a fuel surcharge.i tell themthe next house is 6 miles or so.and you only get 8mpg with truck and trailer.they mostly agree too.but i tell them i wont go up if they get a close yard by them.then it will be worth your while too do both.and i go that extra 5 on the new one,if you can,thenyou win both ways.my min now is 30.00 and that is weekly or none at all.i am doing this for a living not my health.

4. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Word it to them in a referral plan ($25.00) whick can be taken off there next bill. The more referrals they get the more they save through out the year.

5. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

thats a good idea, i was thinking about that also.

6. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

I just sent mine out today, i went up an average of 3-5% on about 75% of my customers. 5% I went up more on, 20% I didn't go up on, but had large increases on last year. I also added a clause that I would assess a fuel surcharge of $1.00 per week if regular hits $3.50 or diesel $4.00. If I lose some I lose them, I'm hitting the bricks now trying to add a bunch in case i do lose more than expected.

7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

thats why you raise em $1 per year, every year... $5 at once and you will lose customers.

as it turns out $1/yr on a $33 lawn (our average) is in line with average inflation (~3%)