1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Annual Rye vs Fescue

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, Sep 25, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I just fertilized, aerated and over seeded two lawns, one with Midway rye grass and the other with Transition Blend fescue (Lesco Products). Last Tuesday is when I did this. I just went back today for normal maintenance and notice something very different. The lawn seeded with Midway has sprouts of new grass everywhere, but the transition blend seeds are only sprouting in the holes made by the aerator.

Both are watered the same because I have set the irrigation systems for the same time.

Im a little concern that the fescue isn't sowing the way it should. Does Midway rye normally sprout faster then Transition Blend fescue? Im afraid the I may have to over seed it again.

Tell me what you'll think.

PS. These lawns are right across the street from each other.
  2. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry this is posted in the wrong area. Hopefully it can be moved to the renovation area.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

well it is the fact it is apples to oranges. annual grasses always sprout fast where as the perennial grasses take longer. what does the bag state on ground temps and germination time? all seed needs good seed to soil contact.