Annual rye vs. Perrinial rye

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ssouth, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer who sowed a blend of perrinial rye and fescue approx. 1 month ago. The rye came up well at first, but is now dying out. My question is, what's the difference in perrinial and annual rye. I've heard the perrinial will grow in warmer temperatures. Will it also grow in the cool seasons? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Ssouth

2. Annual rye is a weed. Perrinial rye is a good turf seed. Used in the south like you are for overseeding warm season grasses in the winter. They over seed a lot of golf course fairwyas in the south every year. Should be growing just fine if every thing was done right. It should just jump out of the ground really.

3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Annual rye here in Jersey is used by builders as a quick fix. It has no value other than that. One lawn I have had looked great in the spring,"died" in the summer only to return in the cooler wetter conditions. Perrenial rye is a faster growing plant that mixes well with other seeds. However it will not stand up againt heat or drought.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

We use a mix of perinneal and annual with KY Blue and red fescue. The ryes establish quick and give the desired grass a chance to germinate. The annual is good because it comes up fast and usually dies out after a season. Whatever seed you use make sure you check its label for noxious weed content. I haven't been doing this long and I know there are some better answers than mine but thats what works for me so far. Good Luck.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Is perenial a grass that could be used
    in the mix to have greener lawn in winter.
    Also it does come back every year like fescue
    doesnt it. thanksTM

6. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Perennial rye comes back every yr. Hence the name. As far as keeping the lawn green into winter, I usually give the lawn a late feeding of winterizer. Colorwise it depends on the type of seed and variety.
    A few yrs ago I thought bluegrass stays green all yr. One big co. did a housing development using KY blue sod and the fronts of most of the lawns went dormant like zoysia color here. Come spring they were all lush again.

7. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks you all for the help.

Ssouth