annual rye?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Sep 24, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i was at lesco and they had an order of annual rye going out (1000+- lbs.)to a company that is over seeding. i asked the salesman he said that it was for nursing seed .
    what do you think he ment by that?
    it does not make sence to me that anyone would use annual rye.
    anthony

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

the only situation i can think of for annual rye is if you are using bluegrass with takes long to germinate and want instant grass in the meantime.

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

evan: i got a thinking the same thing.
    anthony

4. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Using the rye helps to keep the good stuf where ya want it. also almost an instant green, wich keeps the customers happy. They dont understand it takes 21 or more days for many grasses to germ.

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryegrass is a perennial..never heard of it as a annual..just depends on where you are seeding it in the country.

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Most new construction in my area is done with annual rye. Helps them to get the CO's faster & brings great renovation business to those of us maintaining these lawns :) Doesn't make sense to me why a property owner wouldn't want to spend more money to do it right the first time, instead of paying twice or more than the initial expenditure for seeding their lawns and then renovating them right away.
    (And don't get me started on what these builders are using for "top soil")

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Does ryegrass grow all year up there in New Jersey or does it die off in the summer?

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Anthony, here is your answer: http://www.ryegrasses.com/.

And why is everyone so negative about seed germination? You never have to wait 2-3 weeks for germination. Just did a pure bluegrass repair two weeks ago, almost all germinated by 6th day. I would only use rye for a spring seeding, to stabilize a new site, then Roundup on Aug 1 and slitseed pure bluegrass in mid-August.

9. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

In the South we use annual rye to keep the lawns green in the winter.

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

GroundKPRS,
    Thanks for the great site!
    LoneStar,
    Rye grows all year here in NJ, except it went dormant during those hot drought summers (unless irrigated) that we had the 3 years before this one.