annual ryegrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, May 23, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i have a customer that put down some crap bargain seed and now half the lawn is a red looking annual ryegrass. the soil is very compacted and rocky, but once i relieve the soil and overseed in the fall will the annual rye start to get crowded out by turf type tall fescue, perennial rye, or kentucky blue? does annual rye die off in the summer heat like annual bluegrass?

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it should die off in the summer. I have had some last a little longer than one year though. Later, Tony

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Hit it with round up first, then aerate and slit seed.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

A lot depends on where you are at. Annual rye in my area will be completely dead by the end of June. If not mowed before it makes seed it will seed itself back in the fall, Just in time for your overseeding schedule. Its best if you can, to make sure it is mowed before it is allowed to make seed and then dont worry about it coming back. If it is allowed to make seed then it should be mowed and bagged to help remove as many seeds as possible. Overseeding early in the fall will help get the new grass established before the annual rye can take hold. I also suggest that you use a little heavier seed rate than normal to help choke out any left over annual ryegrass seed.