annual white grubworms already

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

myhouse was treated with chlordane once i know of

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Larry

Interesting that you say each year is different. Here in the South we can set our clocks by Grub Season. Even 10 years ago when the Sugar Cane Grub first appeared in my area. We were able to control it with the same SOP as out native Grubs.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I hear ya. Here's a pic from today -- his family wiped out an entire front lawn. He weighs in at just over an inch. Raster pattern confirmed he is a May/June beetle grubworm (Phyllophaga sp.)

The Omaha, Kansas City, Des Moines area often gets several other grubworms including:
    Cotinus nitida,
    Popillia japonica,
    Cyclocephala sp,
    Rhizotrogus majalis,
    Maldera castanea,
    Exomala orientalis, and
    Ataenius spretulus.

First it's usually Black ataenius, then the one in the pic, then all the others.

Before anybody asks, that black thing left of the paper towel is a "you know what" cuz that little bastard was not potty trained. :laugh:

Some years, we don't see squat for grubs. Other years, it's terrible. No way to predict ahead of time. Weird

CIMG0075.jpg

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Larry

Back to my original point. After 30 years in the business you still can't manage Grubs?????????

5. americanlawn

from midwest

If the customer takes a grub prevent app, then they're okay (unless we use the crap you use). If they don't, or if it's a new account, they're taking a chance. We leave it up to them cuz we ain't no used car salesmen. Most common grub damage here has typically been from mask chafers, but times are changing fairly quickly as Japanese beetles have very recently become a serious threat here. Five years ago, we had no Japanese beetles, but now they have become more prolific each year.

Regarding managing grubs, did you mean growing them & selling them on ebay? :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Larry

The Crap I use Works and is the same Crap U of Iowa recommends. At $ 18.00 a acre cost to prevent Grubs, I some how can't understand why You have more Grub Problems than TG/CL???

You say you are not a used car salesman. But the reason Used car salesman have such a bad reputation is because the screw their customers by not giving them full disclosure. If you are not preventing Grubs on your customers property, then you are not giving your customer full disclosure or proper service.

7. klsgc

klsgc LawnSite Member

We are like you Larry, the ones who take the pre are fine, but if they don't want it, I'm not going to lose a customer over it. It just means we can charge for a dylox app if they get em. I found grubs on a property in west michigan today. I thought that it would be too early for white, and assumed they were billbug grubs because we can get those mid summer. It does have legs though, and I was under the assumption billbug grubs do not have legs. The body was also quite dark. They are very tough to find as well because they can be quite small. Anyone know anything about these?

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

klsgc

IMHO if you are not providing a total Lawn Care Program to your customer then you are the USED CAR SALESMAN Larry talks about. Here in my area Scotts sells a Grub preventative on 5 K of turf for $ 165.00. It costs them a Whole $ 2.00 in Chemicals. The same Lawn I only charge $ 75.00 a month or $ 900 to $ 1050 a year for a total care package with no extras on Trees, Shrubs, Lawn and inside Pest Control. They Charge $ 65 a month and hit the customer for every extra they can.

IMHO Having Grub problems year after year just shows how poor a quality work you do

9. americanlawn

from midwest

Ric - I was just giving you a hard time cuz I have no clue what products you use, your market, or what critters you have to deal with. I realize Florida is whole 'nuther ballgame filled with more challenges than any other State. ie: One really needs to be an expert, or else you're out of business -- tough State, and I admire how you handle the heavy pest pressure + customer expectations.

klsgc - Most lawns in central Iowa (here) seldom have significant billbug damage as these critters are more common in northern Iowa/southern Minnesota.

When at the Iowa turfgrass show last month, I asked questions regarding the "current" Scotts Company: BTW it ain't O.M. Scotts & Company anymore

1) Scotts recommends applying GrubEx in March/April for "season-long" control of grubs. This is not only misleading for most folks, but it's most often a ripoff regarding grubs here, cuz the product shells out in 3 months or so. (nearly all grubworm damage happens here in late summer & fall).

2) Scotts then recommends (a couple months later) to apply GrubEx AGAIN in mid summer (that makes it twice regarding this "season-long control product") hmmmmm

On the other hand if you want billbug control as well as grubworm control in the Midwest, Merit (etc) should be applied TWICE (March/April for billbugs and then again in early summer for most grubworms). Not saying grubworm damage never occurs in spring, but it's rare.

We pattern our program from land grant universities. ISU is our main source. Lawnsite.com members and it's sponsors have also been very valuable IMO.

Anybody else seeing annual white grubworm damage?

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Larry

Truer words were never spoken, but IMHO you give yourself the Hard time....... I also believe at the prices you get for the sq ft treated, a Florida CPO has a Bigger bottom line with 300 accounts than you do with 3,000.