annual white grubworms - not giving up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 7, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Maybe I rode this horse to death, but......... This is the worst grub worm outbreak I have seen in 20 years here, and Omaha is being hit hard as well.

Five weeks ago, we started seeing grub damage on untreated lawns (those who did not receive Merit this summer). We have been treating 3 to 8 lawns per day since then for grubworm damage actively occurring.

Yesterday, I treated five lawns for these buggers.......two of these had varments plowing up turf as well. Some grubworms were nearly fully grown, yet we are still finding small grubworms as small as 1/2 inch (tiny---late hatch). Gone through eighty bags of Dylox so far, just ordered another twenty bags, cuz we expect activity (damage) to continue through early November.

Here's the oddity......check out http://www.whoradio.com/pages/shows/gardeningtoday/

This morning I listened to this radio show that entertains phone calls from consumers. The show is hosted by State extension experts.

A caller complained that his yard was being torn up by racoons, and he saw dozens of grubworms in the soil. The lady on WHO radio said..."I'm sure it's drought damage". "it's too late to treat for annual white grubworms because their lifecycle is over." She also guessed that most current grub damage is ocurring on ryegrass (not kentucky bluegrass).

Thank God it was not Mohammed Khan that made this comment (the male person on the show), cuz he is a recent ISU professor, and I'm sure he knows better, cuz grubworms are chompin' hard right now on cool-season turf..especially Kentucky bluegrass.

Our local LESCO is now running low on Dylox inventory, and they are selling as fast as they can get it in.

rscvp. Thanks.:usflag:

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear that you're doing so many grub damage calls. You could be doing better things with your time... like fixing that retaining wall!!!

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

4. americanlawn

from midwest

Thanks MK & Natty. It's 81 degrees here right now, but we're expecting highs in the 70's + later in the week highs in the 60's .........still good growing weather for grubworm activity. We expect to see annual white grubworm activity here through early November. Seen it before, & I expect to see it again..........mostly cuz this is a bad 20-year event that reminds me of 20 years earlier years.

Bottom line............This ain't a line of bull, cuz grubs are bad here.

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we just started to notice some here again in nc. I'm guessing that since they're small its another hatch. Its too warm for october hopefully it'll get cold and kill the buggars.

6. mkroher

cold doesn't "kill" them. They move further down into the soil and wait until spring.

7. americanlawn

from midwest

I only treated 2 lawns today w/Dylox, but both were bad. Today, 4 more customers called in and pre-approved grubworm killer over the phone for their entire lawn........including a 39,000 sq ft commercial property (my knees aren't gunna like this one, cuz I don't carry a ride-on). Sure hope Rob (from LESCO) shows up tonight with more Dylox. I think you guys are right about a 2nd hatching, cuz we're seeing mature ones & their sons & daughters. We currently have plenty of soil moisture now, so it's easy to find these rascals. It's not corn country here.....it's grub country. yuck, but extra income.

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i meant if it got cold real quick would it kill them. that happens around here you'l be 60 on day and 30 the next

9. americanlawn

from midwest

I hear ya dude --- if we get below normal temps for a prolonged period of time, grubs will quickly disappear. Then I can finally get my tree/shrub root feeding done.

10. mkroher

Grubs don't spawn their own offspring. Once the beetles lay their eggs, whatever hatches...hatches.

C'mon man.