1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another 1st Pond Install and Landscape Job!

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by qualitylawncare1, Feb 6, 2008.

1. qualitylawncare1

qualitylawncare1 LawnSite Member
    from East TN

This is my first year of getting into the ponds and the landscaping swing of things as I have only mowed and trimmed in the past. So I would like some input, good or bad, on my 1st ever landscape job that included a pond. Thanks

2. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest some flat stone,, flagstone or whatever is native to your area on that pond, it would help hide the edge of the pond a lot better, and maybe some more plants through out the landscape
  3. qualitylawncare1

qualitylawncare1 LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Thanks, I wanted to use the flagstone (flat stone) and also put two boxwood shrubs out.....one on each side of the porch, but the owners were on a limited budget and the flagstone was double what the river rock was and they wanted to wait till later spring to put out the shrubs as it is still cold here and frosting. Thanks for the advice though. I would like to hear from others as well.

MASSIF LawnSite Member

If that was the front of the house, I would have maybe cut out the rock along the path and got a few evergreen plantings to give some foundational plantings. Also if you go with the natural edge, you are able to run your mowere right along the edge and not have to trim with your trimmer. That will save you both time and money while still being able to charge the same price. Maybe something creative to hide some of the utilities. Lastly, may placed flag stone around the pond to hide the big plastic lip. I always do my best to make it look like the home was built around the pond. (as natural as possible)

If your customer liked it and you got paid, you did well.
  5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I know you asked for feedback - good or bad. But how serious are you about getting the bad? I wouldn't be rude. I am truly only here to help. But my comments would probably be a little discouraging. If you got a thick skin and can take some constructive criticism I am happy to comment. But be careful what you ask for..... I know from years of personal experience here on Lawnsite that it's tough to have other people criticize your work. There have been times here over the years where I wished I would have never asked or posted a photo. :)