Another 21 mower question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by imograss, Jan 18, 2008.

1. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I know the 21 has been beat to death lately. I have 1000.00 to spend on a 21I will be using this on small high end residentials. Open to suggestions on ther brands but I have studied up on 2 in particular. The commercial toro recycler I can get a new left over 2006 new in box 799.00 + shipping. Or the Toro Super Recycler model 20057 for 609.00 free shipping. Will not be used 8 hrs a day but frequently. Great bagging and mulching are a must.
    Any info will be appreciated.

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If great bagging is a must I would have to vote for Honda. My Toro mulches great but doesn't bag that great. Honda may be alittle more than 1k.

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

3 years ago I had a 20057 (190cc OHV B&S) and had unresolved warm-restarting issues in the field. Went back to the standard 20055 (~$500) and have been happy ever since.

4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get the 22" toro recycler if mulching is important.

I have the 22" recycler and the 21" super recycler and I prefer the 22" but it can't mulch at all. Plus you can only buy those gator type blades which imo, can't mulch green, growing grass at all.

I also had a starting issue with the super recycler, it would just stop and wouldn't start till it cooled. The dealer phoned me and said there was nothing wrong with it but I insisted and they said they adjusted some valves and ran a full tank of gas through it.

At the end of the second 5 month mowing season, using these machines maybe an average of 15 hours a week. Both of them don't work and I'm hesitant to even try and fix them up. I think I will recycle them:) and try out a snapper or quick 32. I just don't like the idea of spending close to $1500 canadian for a 21 proline.

5. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend an extra 150$ and get the toro commercial mower non bbc. O r the exmark for 100$ more. Or buy a used good condition tor commercial and be done with it. Commercial means commercial parts for everyday wear and tear.

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

There is a seller on Ebay that has around 50 new in box Toro commercial 21 with self proppel and Kawasaki engine for 799.00 I'm not sure what shipping might run. Can I go wrong with this model 22176? I will be targeting small reisidentials. In the past I was doing larger residential lawns. I still have the Super Z, but wanted to target a few different areas.

7. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

hey would post the link to that seller please? im interested in a new 21 also

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure if you should buy the super recycler. Toro does not make a commercial super recycler mower, the model your looking at has the personal pace feature and will not last if your doing a lot of commercial mowing. Spend the extra money and get the Toro Proline commercial 21 you will be money ahead down the road. If your going to be bagging get the BBC if not it really doesn't matter.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

The current model #22164 looks like a 21-SR but is listed as a commercial with KAW power and I do not know the SRP.

I sound/feel like a broken record but get a 21" mower with side-discharge which the 22164 does have...NOT a rear side-discharge chute that clogs and cannot evenly disperse the clippings. Cannot even compare if you do ANY side-discharging...is night and day.

Am not sure what the bargain model 21 commercial is as it is not listed at Toro's website...but besides the above, having a 21 that can cut all the way up to 4.25" is another big plus.

Around here, I cut nearly all my lawns at 3.75" and am very pleased with just the standard SR...#20055 at ~$550 with a bag, or ~$500 w/o a bag. I'm well over 95% grass side-discharge and 95% Fall leaves mulching...not bagging.

FWIW, I've not ever had a BBC Toro, but I've been told and have read around here that they interfere with mulching quality.

Respectfully submitted...YMMV by region.

10. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

Valk,

I have the 22164 mower and am very happy with it but I am a homeowner. I can never go back to standard home owner model now.

It is based on the SR4 platform and also uses the SR blades as I have several of them.

It has the FJ180V, minus oil filter, and the commercial wheels from the Proline but has the Personal Pace.

I paid 800 for it last April and added the handle from the 20057 mower.

If you search on this site for 22164 you will find good and bad comments on it but will gladly answer any if you have more.