1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another Apartment Complex Bid Question!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to submit a bid for an apartment complex. This is a nice upscale complex, about 2 years old, 26 buildings. The management people don't want any "big mowers on the property" So I am thinking on the larger sections a 36" wb. There are about 220 small lawn areas and islands that average 15'x24' = a total around 79200 sq ft. The other areas are larger and some are on steep slopes the larger areas total around 88,000 sq ft. I figure there is around 19,100 ft. of trimming and edging plus about 120 2 ft. tree rings. I also have to provide weed control, fertilizing, all irrigation maintenance and pruning I figure at this point pruning will take around 50 hours per year. The bid I have come up with seems really high on an annual basis. Please tell me what you think! $37,200
  2. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

doesnt sound hight to me at all.
  3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

220 islands.... holy hell... that's a lot of trimming and small-maneuver mowing.
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

E-mail me your financial statements for your business..... That would be a start......
  5. Turf Dancer

I know that is lot of small areas and islands. The stinking trimming will probably take 5 or 6 hours!
  6. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

We get lots of residential and commercial calls, but we seem to never get the big jobs.
    We bid on a 27 acre condo the other day but so did 5 other companies. Whats the secret? To just low ball? We've tried that before and lost our butts.
    By the way this would be for mowing, fertilizing, bed clean-up, snow plowing...the works.
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I say tell em $12,000.00
  8. Turf Dancer

So does anyone know much about bidding these places? I do commercial properties but this is my first bid on an apartment complex this size. I would pass on it but I need to fill my schedule, I only have about 2 days worth of maintenance accounts. There are not many commercial properties that I am looking at that will be open for bid in the next 9 months, they are all in multiple year contracts, or they are under contract with one of the 2 largest companies or they are not open for bid until march or april. I need to fill my schedule before winter hits.
  9. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

Measure the turf and get the sq ftg - multiply that times your commercial rate and that's your price for Fertilizing every 6 to 8 weeks - ($2 $3 $4 per sq ?)
    Use those same measurements - figure out the acreage from that and charge your price per acre for mowing.
    Measure the beds and figure edging, weeding, pruning, debris removal and mulching.
    Square footage divided by 160 should give you an aproximate amount of mulch to use...but don't go by that strictly. Use your judgment. In many cases you'll need half of that.
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

The one thing we underestimated on the apartment was the initial walkthru with garabe pickup. It is located in an urban area and public walkway on all 4 sides. People just seem to make this place there personal litterbox. Our employee spends upwards of 1/2 on picking up litter some weeks. May not seem like alot but that could be 20 minutes of trimming. Something to think about that I missed the boat on.