1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another arguement

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrew S, May 26, 2003.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

My crew turns up to the same job on time every time because this customer is "difficult"and fussy

She tells us the lawn is still short and does not need to be cut yet,

Firstly my policy is do not wait for us to turn up before you cancel ring the day before otherwise a charge will still be applied.

Secondly and most importantly the lawn needs to be cut and when we do get onto it the presentation is not the best.

Well the conversation when I rang went backwards and forwards until I told her that if she wants a longer frequency we will charge according to the extra time we spend to get it back in shape.

Her response I'll get someone else My response:Thankyou no problemo all the best

The issues as I see it is this I don't mind fitting with people and being flexible but when a job is allowed to be run down thru infrequent mowing and then the customer wants a top job it's time to move on

lastly why did you bother with this customer I hear you all say?
    well it is in a group of 16 houses in the one street,and I did not want another contractor coming in
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I understand your thoughts on this one and I think that you did all that was possible. Initially I find people like this a challenge. I like to see what I may be able to do to get them seeing my way. You seemed to have tried by keeping a schedule, calling and discussing her concerns. There gets to be that point that the customer has to appreciate your concerns also. You are running the business. You are not a personal slave to one customer, at least it doesn't sound like she is paying for that.

I think it will be interesting to see who she gets. Some people are just better off living in a condo, she sounds like one of them.
    Good Luck.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

People like that remind me of why I have my signature at the bottom:angry:
  4. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

This could be exactly what you need... :) Sometimes it's better to have another business next door to compare... Without the clouds they can't appreciate the sun!!!

Good Luck, Clay
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

gone, next
  6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Well at least you did all you could do for her before you said bye.

Let her find another company who will do everything she wants. This WILL cost her more money, but at this point to prove to you she can get that type of service I bet she WILL pay more.

It might be like "Told you I could get it my way".

Just move on, its not worth all the trouble.
  7. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

When I started to mow this one account on Friday. the old man came out and told me he wanted to mow his grass shorter. He says I didnt mow short enough the week before. So i lowered the deck a little. I made a small pass and said that was too short. I raised the deck and he said ok. After making one full pass on his lawn, he said higher. Well i cut his lawn at the same exact height as the week before.:confused: Sometimes i think people just like to complain.
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Yep. Back when we cut most of our stuff on a by-the-cut basis, we ran in to a lot of these. The person would almost demand that we cut lower, even after we told them it was rough on the grass. I got to the point I would mow, collect the money and ask them how it looked mowed one level shorter. They were almost always happy with it mowed at what they thought was lower level. Big secret...it was the same level :D

Not really a problem for us anymore, since 95% are year round accounts.
  9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Andrew, this is an ongoing problem we've all experienced and it's been discussed in one way or another several dozen times here on Lawnsite over the years.

I understand wanting to do all you can to keep her when she's among 16 others you do. But don't go way out of your way. You did the right thing. Chances are the others will stick with you because they respect you and your business. Also, probably most of them realize she's a PITA anyway. So they'll understand if she hires someone else.

I agree with all of the above responses. Stick with it and keep doing a good job on the others and don't worry about it.
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I did a turf maintenance, wherein I mowed serving this client and thier response " Don't leave me".
    Well, two years later I occassionally field a call wherein this customer wants something extra - I say sure - and charge extra.
    They want a freebie, go and call their son-in-law!