another argument, let's hear how you "pros" handle this one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 7, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

mulch job, bid 2 weeks ago. shceduled for today. job to include bed edging, and mulch, NO CLEANUP, customer chose to save some dough by doing the cleanup himself. fine. big property, surrounded by oak trees.customer cleaned the yard and beds up nicely last week. last 2 days here we had 40 mile an hour winds . the neighbors properties were not cleaned, and the property and beds were covered with leaves. so i show up with my mulch. knock on the door, he answeres, lookin like he had a long hard night. i explain that the beds are now covered in leaves, and the yard too, and should be cleaned before we put in mulch. there will be an extra fee for the cleanup. he freaks. tells me he will do it himself, come back another day to do the mulch. i say no can do, i'm here, so is the mulch, i'll do the cleanup, i'll keep the cost down to a minimal. he thinks it should be free. after all, "it's not his fault the leaves blew all over his yard." what do you people do about this?????

2. RedRock

RedRock LawnSite Member

Did your signed quote say, client to do cleanup prior to mulch only install; if so show it to him on the spot and he refuses still, can you do the mulching over the leaves and make it work? or move along to your next mulch job and bill him for your time already spent...jmo. The key is what your proposal/signed contract say.

3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Drop the mulch in the driveway, just to get it out of your way.. Tell him to do the cleanup and there will be a $100 rescheduling fee because he was not ready on time..

4. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a tough one Bobby. Your right and no matter what; the customer has his mind set. I guess you would be forced to tell him that he paid for the mulch and you cant store it, so it gets done right now (with him cleaning the beds in front of you) or you clean them and charge him for the labor.

Otherwise you can drop the mulch in his yard and reschedule which will include a service charge for delivering the mulch today, and having to come back once again for the actual work. Plus mention that the same thing could happen next time.

Those are the only options I can come up with. What did you/he do?

5. mjensen

mjensen LawnSite Member

I think that is a hard question too. Let us know how you handle it.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I do exactly like what Quality says too. Those kinda customers are a pita, all or nothing for me.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Why clean the leaves up? They're just going to break down under the mulch anyways. I would have just gone right over the leaves, as long as they weren't too thick. I suppose around the bushes and whatnot it would have been pretty deep. I would have just said if the customer doesn't want to pay, nor does he want to do the clean-up right then, that you'll just go over the top of the leaves and the customer can clean up whatever leaves would still be seen. After all, with most of my clients I've learned that out of sight is out of mind..... to a point.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would personally just drop the mulch, and tell him that you will be back later in the week or next week then once he is finished.

But the bad thing about this is, he might just go ahead and start to put the mulch down after he has finished with the leaves.

9. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

i would agree with LwnmwrMan22. If not bad no need to pick. Just have customer sign agreement stating is was aware beds not cleaned.

10. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I'd honestly think I'd blow the areas to be mulched with the blower for about 5-10 minutes, and leave it for his cleaning up on the lawn. Then lay the mulch down as planned.
    Before I did this, I'd give him an option to dump the mulch, and come back another time to install it, but like mentioned before, charge for the additional visit.
    I think he'll say go ahead with the install that day.
    If the leaves were not all that bad to begin with, I'd just dump the mulch on top.
    More suspense to wait and see the Mulch Saga Reply!