Another "asking for advice" thread

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Ambull, Aug 25, 2013.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

If money was not object and you just wanted speed if know what you could get.

2. Ambull

Ambull LawnSite Member

I actually checked into that, and I think that they kind of died on the vine. Ted wouldn't even return my emails. 1600 pounds is not bad for a diesel, the Bad Boy and Ferris 72" mowers are near 2000 pounds.

3. JCLawn and more

from MI

Mine is a 60 inch. The 72 is like 1800.

4. JCLawn and more

from MI

The bad boy with the 35hp cat is a massive engine. I figured 30 more foot pounds of torque than the kubota 331 at full throttle.

5. Ambull

Ambull LawnSite Member

Yeah I looked that up, and according to the Bad Boy website, the 35HP Cat diesel is listed at 94 ft-lbs at 3000 RPM. This calculates out to 53.69 HP at 3000 RPM. Can't be right........

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

I thought it ran at like 2400. But it would drop rpms to get that torque.

7. pythons37

pythons37 LawnSite Member

How long is the grass when you mow it? How often do you mow it? How about Golf Course Equipment?

If you are going to keep the Ventrac, use a Zero turn for the flatter terrain and just use the Ventrac on the real steep areas. You might find the Zero would be able to do it all, anyway.

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

He posted pic. I know the diesel ztrs, at least the kubota, can hadle all his hills with ease.

9. kgs1

kgs1 LawnSite Member

JC Lawn is right on with the Kubota's..I demoed a ZD331/72" & it made short work of long & thick grass & also I have a lawn with at least 25-30 degree slope's & this machine went up & down it with ease...no issue's what so ever...& is very smooth as far as control's etc & I like the hydro deck lift too...

10. Ambull

Ambull LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I checked out a Ferris 3100 gas the other day, and have been looking at the Bad Boy mowers. Perhaps I should consider a Kubota as well. Still haven't gotten a demo on my lawn yet. I am a bit shy on the diesels, as the weight scares me, when I get into the wetter areas on the property.